Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Average Shooting Distance

I shudder at the thought of making a course of fire so difficult as to frustrate new shooters to the point where they quit. With a little innovation a 15 yard shot can be made very difficult. Simply use some hardcover and place props in such a fashion as to make a very limited window of opportunity. If a newbie goes by it or shoots the hardcover, they will accept the penalty and chalk it up to learning. If they have little chance of hitting it in the first place they will leave.

I come from an accuracy oriented background and I shoot Open. The only thing worse than the hose mode stuff is target arrays that cater specifically to A class and up Open shooters. Extremes on either end of the spectrum are just bad business.

"you're just learing to be slow.."

Not if you let your vision guide your shooting instead of a cadence.

To repeat: The Book, page 161.

If you don't practice something, you won't have practiced with the right vision and won't be able to execute.

(not that I hear this is a problem with Jake...)

I shudder at the thought of making a course of fire so difficult as to frustrate new shooters to the point where they quit. With a little innovation a 15 yard shot can be made very difficult

Heck, you want to see a lot of misses, stick a wide-open target at 3 yards and give shooters an opportunity to shoot it as they run by at full speed. We've been learning the hard way that difficult shots do more to scare off the new shooters than separate the good shooters.

Good shooters will always be separated by how effeciently they engage whatever it is, from 5 to 50 yards. You don't need a lot of partial-no-shoot-hardcover-headshots at 25 yards to have a challenging stage.

I don't like a whole pile of arms-length targets and associated ballistic masturbation, but targets a new shooter simply cannot make during a COF are not a long-term winning strategy.