Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open 9 major loads

rperry

I am about to enter the world of open and i was looking for different loads to use. I was told to try hs6 8.5 grains and a 124 cmj loaded to 1.160 length. I wanted to know what other people might be running. I heard that the hs6 was a very temperature sensative and dirtier load than vit. and some of the other powders. I want to find a load that im not going to have to worry about when going to the chrono. to see what temp it is. If anyone has some info. it would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Ravin

Ravin.......search the posts in the reloading section, there is a LOT of info on 9mm major loads.

I am running the following with a 3 port up+ 2 side port comp (Gans #12) with no barrel holes.

7.8gr Silhouette

124gr MGD CMJ

1.185 OAL

Wolf SRP or SPM primers

This chronos at 171-173 PF routinely. This load fills the cases about 3/4 of the way which is better than most

powders for 9mm major. Overall, I feel it is a pretty clean powder

I'm running 9.2 grains of HS-6 with a MG 115JHP loaded to 1.180 This load chronoed at 172.3 this past weekend from a 5 inch stormlake barrel with a 3 port EGW 9 major comp. It also chroned at 169 through my 5 inch KKM barrel with 4 port Gans comp with two bleeder holes on each side. I have shot 115's, 121's, and 124/125's and I keep coming back to a 115. It hits the hand a little bit more, but the gun really flattens out. HS-6 is dirty, but I can run 2 or 3 thousand rounds of it without having to clean my gun, so it is fine in my book. Plus it is cheap.

7.4grn IMR 7625 w/ 124 grn MGB CMJ. 1.2" OAL. 171PF (previous lot of powder required 7.2grn)

previous load was:

7.2grn Silhouette w/ 124 grn MGB CMJ. 1.2" OAL 171PF

3-port comp w/o hybrid holes.

Silhouette shoots great but 7625 is significantly cleaner. Both are great choices.

Edited by sidnal