Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite Match range report

wbw

Today was my first chance to try out my new-to-me Witness Elite Match in 9mm. The gun is in excellent condition. I got it from Gun Broker and was told that it only had 200 rounds through it. I believe it. I also emailed EAA with the serial no. to find out the import date. It was imported on May 29, 2009, so it has not been around very long. So I'm satisfied with my deal.

At the range, it gave me the accuracy that I was hoping it would. I was putting up five shot groups that were 1.75 inches, unsupported at 10 yards. That may not be great, but it's better than I can do with my other semis except for my .22s. I was very pleased.

The pistol fills my hand nicely and recoil is more comfortable than on my other 9mms. I have had a CZ P-01, CZ 75B, and currently have an XDm and SIG P229. All in 9mm. The P-01 felt the best in my hand but was too light for me. This Witness feels good and handles recoil the best, in my opinion. I love my P229, but its shorter grip is now not as nice as the full length grip of the Witness in comparison.

The only problem I had was with one of the two magazines. The slide would lock back without shooting the last bullet in the magazine. The other mag worked fine so I'll assume that its a magazine problem. I'll take apart and clean both before the next outing.

So right now I'm loving this pistol. I had read many good things about it on the various forums and nothing bad, save for EAA as an importer. The gun is used so any repairs I need would be paid by me, so I'll send it to Henning if something goes wrong.

Short of buying a 1911, I think I've found the holy grail I had been looking for. It looks good, feels good, and allows me to perform better than I do with my other nines. It's a winner.

Edited to add: For you Witness fanatics, I realize that a Limited or some other more expensive version of Witness may be even more of a 'holy grail', but for now I'm very satisfied with my purchase. The more upscale versions will give me something to look forward to in the future.

Here's a pic in case my previous thread had not been seen:

Witness002.jpg

Edited by wbw

I'm glad the gun worked..you can grind off the slide stop little by little until

the slide wont lock up anymore if you like. the reason it locks up is because

the mag follower pushes up on the slide stop..so if you grind down the slidestop

metal that is being pushed, it wont lock up the slide anymore. Also stick with the ammo

that the gun is working. I know EAA is picky on ammo especially 9mm.

Enjoy your EAA..not bad for the price huh? I have 3 race guns myself.

SB

I'm glad the gun worked..you can grind off the slide stop little by little until

the slide wont lock up anymore if you like. the reason it locks up is because

the mag follower pushes up on the slide stop..so if you grind down the slidestop

metal that is being pushed, it wont lock up the slide anymore. Also stick with the ammo

that the gun is working. I know EAA is picky on ammo especially 9mm.

Enjoy your EAA..not bad for the price huh? I have 3 race guns myself.

SB

Thanks, but I want the slide to lock back, but only after the last bullet has been fired. It's locking back before all shots are fired.