Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder Peening

Steelshooter3

I am starting to see some peening on the cylinder notches of my stainless revolvers. I haven't had any problems with skipping, yet. I was wondering has anyone hard chromed (or similar process) their stainless cylinder to reduce/prevent wear? If so, how well has it worked?

If it has worked any recommendations/contacts/prices for this type of work? Thanks for your assistance.

I had a very light case of peening on one of my 625s, and decided to have it chromed for that very reason. Waltermitty warned me it wouldn't make any difference and he was right. The light case of peening continued, and eventually stabilized and I think work-hardened itself to the point that it never really created a problem. Our conclusion was that the chrome is too thin to stand up to dimensional changes in the steel.

For what it's worth, I have concluded that most of the serious peening issues are caused by heavy-handed treatment. I can think of several good revolver shooters who slam their cylinders open and closed mercilessly. Bad habit to start.

I agree that peening is due to heavy handed treatment. Some of us can't help it (like me). I haven't been able to destroy the Ti cylinders. If you want to keep the SS cylinders in the game, you have to learn to pull ssssmmmooootttthhhhh. (easy) Good luck with that. ;-)

Yea, but who makes a Ti cylinder for my 610s?

Jon if you get that bull cylinder fluted it wont peen as much

Steve :roflol::roflol::roflol:

STOP IT! Stay away from my cylinder! That is my backup/hunting gun! BTW my fluted 610 is worse than my unfluted. :surprise: