Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snake gun

Mikej

I live on a river in South Louisiana and the swamp is across the street. We have snakes, mostly cotton mouth moccasins. I kill all snakes I see with the exception of King Snakes.

I keep a S&W 2 1/2" model 66 loaded with CCI snake shot loads. One shot is all that is needed for 20' or maybe 25'. I bought some of the CCI shot capsules to load some for forty-five acp, but haven't loaded any. I am told they will cycle your slide.

An old S&W model 10 or Chief Special should do the trick.

Just another thought here... The local gun stores always have a couple used .38 SP derringers sitting in their cases. There's also the .45 Colt / .410 shotgun derringers. Not advocating these, BTW, just saying that their out there.

I live on a river in South Louisiana and the swamp is across the street. We have snakes, mostly cotton mouth moccasins. I kill all snakes I see with the exception of King Snakes.

I keep a S&W 2 1/2" model 66 loaded with CCI snake shot loads. One shot is all that is needed for 20' or maybe 25'. I bought some of the CCI shot capsules to load some for forty-five acp, but haven't loaded any. I am told they will cycle your slide.

An old S&W model 10 or Chief Special should do the trick.

The CCI .45ACP I shot was factory loads, I don't know about loading the capsules your self and having them function in a 1911.

The CCI .45ACP I shot was factory loads, I don't know about loading the capsules your self and having them function in a 1911.

I remember reading an old article on how to turn .308 Winchester cases into .45 ACP snake shot rounds. Basically trim the case to roughly the OAL of a loaded round, neck down the portion that enters the throat, and use a piece of cardboard at the bottom the separate the shot from the powder & a piece of cardboard at the other end crimped in to keep the shot from leaking out. I can hunt the article down if you're interested, it's in an old Handgunner's Digest.