Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 5" dustcover with tactical rail?

jmleenz

I'm new to the 2011 stuff so forgive me if this is a novice question; Im looking for a solid 5" limited gun that could double as a reliable house gun. A tac rail is a necessity. The closet I have found is STIs tactical series but the 5" tactical looks kinda funny to me with the short 4" rail and the scalloped slide. The 4.15 tactical has the exact look I want but is too short. I prefer the look and weight benefits of the full 5" dust cover and the non-scalloped 'unique' style slide ala STIs Edge. So essentially what I'm looking for is an Edge with a tactical rail.

STI seems to have previously made something like this, the Socom, buts its discontinued --> http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/sti_socom.htm

SVI has several examples of full 5" dustcovers with tactical rails but according to their website they don't sell frames individually and unfortunately I cant afford a new SVI pistol anyways.

Lastly...Good I get just get an STI Edge or similar and have a gunsmith mill in a tactical rail to the dustcover??

Depending on your status (civilian, LEO, miltary, etc) you can or can not purchase a STI from a vendor outside of kali.

The easiest would be to buy a Barsto 40 which is an exact copy of the STI and have the guys at barsto mill the rail for you.