Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sp2, 125 Tmj On 38super Load Data

Rush

Does anyone use SP2? Looking for some load data on it with 125gr TMJ's. I use a 4 port Hybricomp with a 6 port compensator in 38Super... I tried 9.4 gr of SP2 with 125 TMJs'. To much I think :D

It certainly was louder and the gun shook alot :blink:

All advice Much Appreciate

Hi Flex.. Thanks for the link. I'll try some of the loads...

Didn't get to chrono it yet... I loaded some 50 rds, took it to the range to see how it felt.. and BAM! SHAKE! BAM! SHAKE BAM! SHAKE... :D And I couldn't hit anything with it (",) as in groups the size of a 10" plate :lol:

So switched back to 3n38.. that got me down to 1" at 25 yds again. Same head, 124gr... I need to work this load out some more. It loud and I get more felt recoil.. Let you know what Load I finally end up with..

Thanks Again :D

You likely won't need more than 9.0 grains to make major. From your description of what it's like to fire the gun, I'm guessing your ears are not happy with the load and that's why the group size is 10". Doubt there will be pressure signs, but check.

3n38 kicks your hand a little less, not quite as loud. $10 more per pound, which is $14 more per thousand loaded rounds. :blink: It's still the best Open powder.

With either load I'd recommend wearing 33dB earplugs AND 29dB earmuffs. Then spend some time lining up on a close target, close your eyes, fire a shot, then open your eyes.

Do this several times, getting a feel for how much the gun actually pushes against your stance. It's not as much as you think. Adjust your stance to make sure it doesn't push you onto your heels & you'll be fine. Pretty soon you'll be back on your aiming point before you even open your eyes.

Yeah, I was gonna say, the 4 true Hybrid ports have more blast than I ever want to deal with. I think for the ultimate in quiet you want to try out IMR SR7625.

Todd Jarrett went to 7625 a few years back & he really liked how quiet it was. I tried it but thought the muzzle jump was too much in my gun (no hybrid or TJ holes at the time). With a full hybrid and 125 or 121gr bullets, might be perfect.

If you do, be looking for pressure signs. They can often be cured with a little freeboring and proper headspace.

Checked the brass... no pressure signs or blackening. Might need a new Firing pin though, did notice a little primer flow... have an extra EGW one so I'll swap out with the old one.

Capsian, thanks for the tip on 7625. Although 3n38 is more expensive, I only load about 8.6 gr on it vs 9.4 on the SP2. looks like it would just even out cost wise and SP2 certainly isn't as user friendly as I'd hoped it would be.

:D