Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 problem

galt11

Hello all,

After everyone helping me out with choosing a good round gun, I found a nice used 686 in my local shop. It belonged to someone I know so I didn't have any reservations. After having the gun home for the weekend and dryfiring it to get used to the trigger I am discovering there may be a problem. When I cock the hammer back, it goes all the way back, sits for a second, then falls a very small bit forward. My biggest problem with this is if you touch the trigger in any way the gun goes off. My guess is the hammer may need to be replaced as a result of a poor gunsmithing job. I called S&W and they tell me they don't even make a stainless hammer anymore so it would be a blued one, which I am not sure how good that would look on a stainless gun.

What are the opinions of the board? Do I need a new hammer or can a good gunsmith possibly fix this?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

A good revo guy can easily fix that, it may need a new hammer or trigger. It's hard to say on this one without seeing the parts and how they

interact in the gun. I would certainly not think the gun is bad just because of this minor issue. I think blued hammer and/or trigger look fine

on a stainless gun. That is a subjective personal opinion. A lot of them come that way from the factory.

Thanks for the help. I contacted a good smith whom I do trust and I think the gun may go to him for a quick checkup.

I thought it was cool your post count went to 686 on your response.

Adam

A good revo guy can easily fix that, it may need a new hammer or trigger. It's hard to say on this one without seeing the parts and how they

interact in the gun. I would certainly not think the gun is bad just because of this minor issue. I think blued hammer and/or trigger look fine

on a stainless gun. That is a subjective personal opinion. A lot of them come that way from the factory.

When I cock the hammer back, it goes all the way back, sits for a second, then falls a very small bit forward. My biggest problem with this is if you touch the trigger in any way the gun goes off.

Adam

If you're shooting DA it isn't an issue. Isn't the hammer spur going to be history anyway?

When I cock the hammer back, it goes all the way back, sits for a second, then falls a very small bit forward. My biggest problem with this is if you touch the trigger in any way the gun goes off.

Adam

If you're shooting DA it isn't an issue. Isn't the hammer spur going to be history anyway?

I had a 625 that had similar symptoms (pushing off). The choices for repair replace hammer or turn the existing hammer in to a DA hammer. I wizzed the SA engagement notch off and removed the spur at the same time; polished everything and now have a nice hammer-less 625.

I think I am going to keep it as a SA/DA for now as I am not sure how much USPSA I am going to shoot right away. That and I think the sound it makes cocking the hammer sounds cool. Kinda like a Rem. 870 cycling. B)

Adam