Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is "on the move"

MTBfarms

I was curious as to what "on the move" means in IDPA? I got into a discussion about this and I am confused more than ever. The scenario is.

Start a p1. engage targets 1-2 on the move to p2. (p2. is cover) Make a mandatory reload behind cover. Engage targets 3-5 while "on the move" to p3.

My thought is to immediately after doing the reload engage targets 3-5 while leaning out from p2 finishing the last shot as my foot leaves the ground. then run to p3.

I was told that I had to leave cover then engage targets 3-5 on the move.

What is the correct way?

I was curious as to what "on the move" means in IDPA? I got into a discussion about this and I am confused more than ever. The scenario is.

Start a p1. engage targets 1-2 on the move to p2. (p2. is cover) Make a mandatory reload behind cover. Engage targets 3-5 while "on the move" to p3.

My thought is to immediately after doing the reload engage targets 3-5 while leaning out from p2 finishing the last shot as my foot leaves the ground. then run to p3.

I was told that I had to leave cover then engage targets 3-5 on the move.

What is the correct way?

I would say that as you committed yourself to movement and as you left the cover the stage description/rules are satisfied. In other words once you lifted the foot and started your body lean you can start firing. I would guess that if you just gave a tiny lean outward and shot more than 1 or 2 shots before you ever actually moved you would incur some sort of penalty under the nebulous "intent" unwritten rules....

As per usual, there are many "interpretations" of the "phrase on the move". I have been told that just moving the upper body while taking a step, even though one foot is off the ground and moving, doesn't qualify as movement. Personally, I think it qualifies as movement. One can always use the "IDPA shuffle", where it looks as if you are either "moon walking" (while retreating) or trying to keep your slippers on as you shuffle your feet like the folks at the nursing home (while advancing).

In the case above. Your method seems fine to me. That's how I would've shot it too, just leave cover and hose six rounds while taking a normal step. Be sure to keep walking after you have engaged the targets to give the illusion of more movement. :lol:

Edited by sirveyr

Thats what I thought. As long as your body is moving you are "on the move" not you must take a steep before shooting to be on the move. The targets were close, I did not see any reason to come out from cover, start walking, slow down, engage the targets, then sprint to p3. Just engage targets 3-5 while your shoulders and knees are moving finishing up with you foot coming off the ground then sprint to p3.

If you shot 3 targets while your "shoulders and knees are moving finishing up with you foot coming off the ground" I'll bet you got a procedural or worse.... ;)

That (IMHO) is not what the stage designer wanted...

Again - IMHO - if you had shot one and then the other two as you were hoofing out to the next cover I would have said good to go.

My .02 for sure.

I'm reading between the lines here in that what he meant was that they wanted to see your feet constantly moving, propelling you from P2 to P3. In doing so, you would naturally be leaving cover, since you started from behind cover.

Around here, we always interpret it as taking steps. The speed and length of each step is not important, but we want to see your feet constantly moving.

Here's how I would do it:

Once arriving at P2, I would start to perform my reload, while leaning my upper body out so I could at least see target 3. Ideally I would be able to get my upper body so it was already 50% exposed to the target before I've finished my reload. This means that when I'm done I can get my gun on target quicker, since I know where it is and with much less upper body movement.

In these types of scenarios I always see a lot of people ducking back and forth, it's not actually necessary and is just a big waste of time and effort.

As long as no more than 50% of your upper body is not exposed to the target, you're using cover, according to the rulebook. Since we do a lot of shooting from around cover in a match, and many times with a reload, saving that extra perhaps .5s or so can add up.

I have been called on this one before. If you shoot like they want you will use several more seconds. I know it is very easy to shoot 3 targets while moving one foot.I will shoot the targets while coming out from behind cover. To me it's movement, just depends on the SO. I do practice the movement of hitting multiple targets before the lead foot hits the ground. Saves alot of time.

I have been called on this one before. If you shoot like they want you will use several more seconds. I know it is very easy to shoot 3 targets while moving one foot.I will shoot the targets while coming out from behind cover. To me it's movement, just depends on the SO. I do practice the movement of hitting multiple targets before the lead foot hits the ground. Saves alot of time.

Yea I think you are right. It all depends on the SO and the MD.