Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would like some input on a new build

1911vm

Would like some input I am thinking of a new build. How does a railed 4.25in SS 1911 in 9mm sound as a every day working gun CC and Idpa or just practice gun sound? Any input both pro or against would be would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by 1911vm

Would like some input I am thinking of a new build. How does a railed 4.25in SS 1911 in 9mm sound as a every day working gun CC and Idpa or just practice gun sound? Any input both pro or against would be would be appreciated. Thanks

I think its a great platform if it holds enough bullets. The 1911 is too capacity stricken for my taste to use as a working gun. I want lots of bullets. I carried an STI VIP(3.9") in 9mm for about 2 years. It made for a good carry gun with a great capacity but it did not have a rail. I persoanlly think i would have preferred the 4.15 Tactical better than the VIP.

I'm not sure about the rail. The length is interesting. When I think of 9mm SS design, I think sleek and slick If you are going to use a 4.25" barrel, probably the mag would need to stay around 8 rounds to be aesthetically pleasing. I am just a shooter, though.

Any sort of 1911 building sounds good to me, but...

Do you need the rail for CCW and IDPA? I thought that light rails are most useful for house guns that have lights/lasers attached to them.

I love 9mm's, but...

Would a .40 be better given the limited capacity?

It seems that the biggest concern is capacity. And that does concern me a bit but I think with proper ammo 11rounds in 9mm. is good. I just like shouting 9mm. over .40, just more fun. And do not forget an avrage shooting is 3.7 rounds. :surprise:

Rail I never said I need one I just want one. :cheers:

Thanks for every ones input.

It seems that the biggest concern is capacity. And that does concern me a bit but I think with proper ammo 11rounds in 9mm. is good. I just like shouting 9mm. over .40, just more fun. And do not forget an avrage shooting is 3.7 rounds. :surprise:

Rail I never said I need one I just want one. :cheers:

Thanks for every ones input.

An average shooting is 3.7 rounds.......an average gunfight usually expends what the gun has in the magazine.

But hey....if you're comfortable with 11 rounds.....roll with it. I carry my safety and protection a little further than most. but thats just me.

If the platform I carry is the same size in various calibers such as 9mm, .40S&W, or 45 ACP I go for the .45 acp. I carry a Colt Lt Wt Commander in .45 acp as my duty/work (plainclothes) gun. My work guns and "play" guns are different in my little brain. I have nothing against a 9mm single stack (I have one), but its a "play" gun only.

Rails: I prefer guns without rails, but thats just me. I prefer to search with a flashlight in my weak hand (except for a swat type dynamic search).

I know about the low round count average per "serious social encounter". Remember that the fact your in one throws the "average odds" out the window already.

Either way.....have fun with the new build.

I think its a great platform if it holds enough bullets. The 1911 is too capacity stricken for my taste to use as a working gun. I want lots of bullets. I carried an STI VIP(3.9") in 9mm for about 2 years. It made for a good carry gun with a great capacity but it did not have a rail. I persoanlly think i would have preferred the 4.15 Tactical better than the VIP.

+1

The 4.15 Tactical would be my choice. I like having options, and plenty of ammo. Bad guys these days are not running alone.

Take a look at Fusion Firearms. I am pretty sure Bob Serva and his guys have already built one of these. Don't have a Single Stack in this set up but they build quality. If it can be done, he will do it and you will love what you get.