Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro with Failure to Feed Issues/

kmbr45

OK,

My father is having an issue with his new Pro. As background, he lives in NY State and is saddled with the 10 round magazines. His issue is as follows:

- Gun loaded with one in the chamber and a fully loaded 10 round magazine inserted in the gun (he’s shooting IDPA in SSP). He pulls the trigger, the gun fires and ejects the spent case but it fails to feed the next round.

- He said that the slide stops at about the mid-point of the top round in the magazine, as if the slide had enough energy to eject the empty case, but not enough energy to strip off the top round.

- Also, this is only an issue for his three magazines that have the new follower (the ones marked with a “9”). His one magazine with the older follower design works fine. He said that the older design seems to have a little bit (1/8” or so) of extra space vertically when fully loaded, where the new followers are 100% packed in with no extra space.

- Other than some light polishing on the trigger bar and firing pin block plunger, the gun is stock.

Any thoughts or suggestions you may have would be appreciated…and he isn’t moving to a free state without magazine capacity laws so you can skip that one. :)

Thanks,

Daniel

I have ran a pro all year and that has not happened at all. I have a few ideas.

Is the slide sticking on the way back or the way forward? Shooting light reloads that are not getting the slide all the way back? Is the gun lubed enough? Try running the mags with only 9 in them and see if that cures it. Are the mags real hard to load?Maybe the springs are too strong? Might have the wrong springs in them? Switch the followers around from the old style to the new and see if they work. If all else fails I would call S&W. They will without a doubt make it right. Good luck