Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Micro SD cards.

My old phone died today. I got a new LG env3 phone. It accepts a Micro SD card for extra memory. My problem is that I find 2gb Micro SD cards or if you go bigger it is listed as a Micro SDHC. I cannot find any hard answer for this question. Can I use a SDHC card in this phone or do I have to use a straight Micro SD card only?

Micro SD are really just SD cards in a smaller package. The electronics are the same. You can actually buy a microSD to SD adapter, which turns the microSD card into a SD card. It's really just a piece of plastic with a few wires in it. My point is that SD and microSD are the same, electrically speaking, which will help explain the SDHC thing.

HC means 'High Capacity'. Some much older devices don't support the SDHC, only the SD. Newer devices support all SD and SDHC cards. Since microSD cards are basically the same as SD cards, they have taken to labeling them in the same manner, so people know if they'll work in older devices (via the adapter). I think 2G was the max for standard SD cards, and anything above 2G is considered high-capacity.

Pretty much any device with a microSD slot will support HC. I'm not sure when microSD came out, but I think it was after SDHC became the norm.

The short story is... microSDHC will work in your phone.

Edited by Jeff686

• 2 weeks later...