Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd Annual Western States Single Stack Championshi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Steve...couple of "post match comments".

You mentioned about tweaking the penalty for No-Shoots/Misses from 2.5 seconds to 5 seconds. I'd recommend just leaving it the way it is...can't see any good reasons for further tweaking the scoring methods and leaving it the same way as IPDA seems to make sense.

At the end of the match, you said that since this was a combined match (IPSC shooters and IDPA shooters) and the issue of "class placement" for the IDPA shooters was a problem, you opted for trophys out to the top 16. How about trying to "place" IDPA shooters into a respective IPSC class and going back to trophys by class? I'm sure there is some "formula/comparison" you could apply in trying to determine where the IDPA guys fit in. That way the D-Class/Marksman will have some hardware to take home! :D

Steven,

thanks for the input, I wish other shooters would give constuctive critisisim (spelled wrong I am sure). I will play with the miss/no shoot issue over the course of the next year at our monthly match. I will have detailed scoring flyer either on this site, or at our www.azgunning.com site.

I really struggled with the trophy/classification issue this year. There has to be a better way, I agree................ Again, that is something I will work on over the next 11 months.

You guys stay warm and dry up there. And I will add you guys to my 1911 e-mail list and you can let me know when some cool matches will be running up there. I would love an excuse to come up in the summer time.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Comment:

USPSA/IPSC better take a good look at this scoring system (Rob Leatham’s) used during the WSSSC, it is a far better equilibrium in reference to speed and accuracy then the antiquated scoring system used by USPSA/IPSC.

The USPSA/IPSC scoring system worked great in the days of old (single stack .45 with 7 round magazines and 180 power factor).

With the technological improvements in equipment used, red dot scopes, compensators, 30 round magazines and a whole plethora of other gadgets, speed becomes paramount, and is obtainable with proficiency and the help of aforementioned equipment innovations, totally offsetting the balance set forth in the IPSC motto “DVC” Accuracy, Power, Speed.

In reference to the point Angus makes, it would make sense not to score hits on a no-shoot target that sits behind a swinger or bobber, but either way, this was my first WSSSC and it will not be my last, I am going to shoot this match again next year, a whole lot of fun, good people, very good officiating, and very good stages.

Suggestions:

Double the penalties for misses, and no shoot hits.

Raise the power factor for major scoring to 175, leave minor at 125 and throw in a couple of 32 round stages.

I never quite understood what possessed IPSC/USPSA to change the power factor for major to 165.

No big deal if you decide not to make changes, I will definitely shoot the match again next year.

Fossil, thanks for the remarks...............

For USPSA to agree to change the scoring would be incredible to say the least. Anyway, I think the miss/no shoot penalty will happen. I am getting feedback from several folks and will make a decision prior to the March montly single stack match.

The idea behind all shots on targets count, is one that I will probably sitck with, as it challenges the shooter to be in position to make the shot. It will not be a stage that is filled with no shoots set up to "screw over" shooters, it will be placed like we did on stage 10. It made you really aim, and that is what I truly like about the scoring system.

Thanks again, I am getting ready to start working on next years match. I already placed it on the calender at the club, and as it works out, there is a 5th weekend in Jan. 05, so put on your calenders.

Steve