Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Drill

JFD

Since I've just gotten access to our club's private practice bays and am still new to USPSA, my drills at this time are simple.

Right now I just shoot a pair of shots into 3 targets at 7 yards, reload, and repeat.  I do this freestyle, strong hand, and weak hand.  When this gets too easy and I establish steady times for this drill, then I'll move on to some of the things posted here.

Last week I did add another drill.  I found a bowling pin setup where pins could be set at shoulder height in the shooting bay.  I set up 7 pins at 7 yards and proceeded to fire them up the same as what I was doing with the ISPC targets.  I found that bowling pins have no idea what a B, C, or D zone is and that I have to shoot very accurately in order to take them down.  Makes a steel plate seem really easy by comparison.  I'm going to keep the pins as part of my regular routine from now on.  I wasn't running the timer during that bit of practice, but starting tomorrow I will.  The weak hand part was really embarrasing and I was glad this was a PRIVATE bay.

• 1 month later...

Bowling pins can be a real smack to the ego. :-) That is a little tiny target. Have you added the pin table from the Second Chance? Place the pins on a 4' deep table and see how much more harder they are to drive off the table! It is an eye opening experience thats for sure. Now a good time at the Second Chance match was about 2.75-3.00 for 5 pins at 21 feet starting with the gun on a .45 degree angle.

Best of luck!

Shooting pins was my first competition shooting, and still very challenging.

The Yahoos that run our local pinshoot like to torture us when the times get too low... Right now we have 7 pins on a table at 35 ft, then 10 on wooden rails at 40 ft, Then a "terrorist pin" that is behind two red pins that are almost touching. You must shoot the terrorist without touching the red ones for you overall time to count.

There are no excuses in pin shooting, and it rules. Keep it up.

SA

• 2 weeks later...

Quote: from Steve Anderson on 9:50 am on Jan. 24, 2003

Shooting pins was my first competition shooting, and still very challenging.

The Yahoos that run our local pinshoot like to torture us when the times get too low... Right now we have 7 pins on a table at 35 ft, then 10 on wooden rails at 40 ft, Then a "terrorist pin" that is behind two red pins that are almost touching. You must shoot the terrorist without touching the red ones for you overall time to count.

There are no excuses in pin shooting, and it rules. Keep it up.

SA

Those are just plain evil ideas, and I'm going to suggest them at our next pin match :-)

Steve

Believe it or not, they just got harder.

Now we have to shoot two pins, one behind the other, from between those two red ones without disturbing the red ones.

Past friday, we did it in low light, with the red/blue police lights on. (the indoor range has these lights for leo training)

I was never so happy to be shooting open. Our best limited shooter, a Columbus Narc Cop, was lamenting that he brought the one gun he owns without night sights. :)

I did my best shot-calling ever this last friday, in the dark with a dim dot you have to know you hit. I squeezed and looked to the next pin with zero misses.

The only problem was, I forgot to look back to the table to see the ones on their side (which have to be cleared) because I knew I hit 'em...

Ah well...

SA

• 2 months later...