Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124 gr. vs 115 gr.

xsniper

I was wondering if someone could tell me about their experience with 124 gr. (.355). I have only used 115gr. but I cannot find a "C" cam for my gilmore scope. When I was trying to get one from Tulsa Firearms they advised me to try 124 gr. with 5.1 of WW231 which should put me at the right velocity for the "B" cam that I do have. :unsure:

That load sounds a bit "hot" for AP but if that's what it takes to get your scope right for the mover, so be it. The 124 MG JHPs are accurate enough, as that's what I use for practice. I had to switch from Hornady HAPs due to lack of availability, though I still have enough of those loaded for the rest of the match season. All I can suggest is try it and see if it's right for your scope lead and fine-tune accordingly............the accuracy is there.

Alan~^~

I am in the get a mover base camp. The stickshift is probably the best about. Then you can load whatever is the most accurate in your gun.

I hate the Gilmour, I got one on a gun and gave it away. When they work, fine. When they don't, a toilet roll centre with string taped across the end is more useful.

I was wondering if someone could tell me about their experience with 124 gr. (.355). I have only used 115gr. but I cannot find a "C" cam for my gilmore scope. When I was trying to get one from Tulsa Firearms they advised me to try 124 gr. with 5.1 of WW231 which should put me at the right velocity for the "B" cam that I do have. :unsure:

Xsniper you go back a ways. The original Gilmore scopes with the 3 caps A, B, C were good ones. My recall was that one of the caps was for 1150, the other for 1000, the other for 850 fps. I had several of those scopes and never, never had a problem with them. The old RL 32 as I recall. The newer scopes the RL35 and later were a POS at best, unless you had an unlimited access to replacements.

The B cap was set at about 1,000 fps +/- as I recall. A 124/125 with 5.1 gr of W231 likely exceeds 1,000 fps by a fair amount, but your results might vary. Set a target at 25 yds and index the B cap to either side, and determine what the lead is that is inputed. Then go from there. Do both sides, as it shouldn't, but it does vary from scope to scope.

MJ

I appreciate the info Allgoodhits. That was right where I was headed, but it feels good to have someone else tell you that your headed the right way. My scope has a lot of hours on it, but is working really good. I am taking a gamble by staying with the old technology if I have a problem at the last minute, but I also hate to move away from something that works. I'm gonna order the 124's and see how it all works out.