Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

deep seating primers RL550B

good morning,

I have a revolver in .40 S&W that requires the primers to be completely seated (crushed) in the case in order for it to go bang.

My current method is to size and seat the primer on the machine, then hand seat the primers with a hand priming tool. I back out the resizing die out of station on then load the ammo.

It takes at least three times as long to load the ammo.

Is there any way to adjust the maching to deep seat all the primers? or am I stuck double seating them?

thank you in advance for your assistance.

Chris

The taper on the upper part of the 550 primer seating punch allows seating primers to a depth of approximately .009" below flush. For most users, tightening the shellplate bolt down further is how primer seating depth is controlled. It helps to put some grease under the head of the shellplate bolt where it recesses into the top of the index sprocket. This allows you to set the shellplate bolt tighter and still freely rotate the shellplate. Also, be aware that some brands of primers, notably Federal, are noticeably softer and easier to seat than others. Now if only there were enough primers on the shelf to allow for choice...... :unsure:

I've been fighting seating issues for some time and went through everything I know how and called you guys to talk it over too. We all came to the conclusion the press is getting a little sloppy and might need some attention. When I go to seat the primer the shell plate "clocks" pretty good. I've loaded a boatload of ammo, so it's not surprising that it may need some TLC, but I don't want to give it up to send it off! :)

I'm going to be gone for a week and will ship it before I go. I hope your stellar service rep holds and you guys can turn it around fast for me.

Is there a "loaner program" whereby Dillon sends you a press to use in the interim? :P

Best,

JT

PS ON the deep seating, you may want to try a .010 shim under the primer bar spacer. ;) It may or may not help, but it won't hurt anything. Dillon can confirm.... Just watch for any issues with primer bar movement, if you see anything remove the shim.

JT

Edited by JThompson