Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to open can use some advise.

ddj8052

Hey guys, I just finished shooting the CA 3 Gun Series for the first time and had an absolute blast. I met a lot of great people and am looking forward to next years series. This past year I shot a Remington 1100 Tac-4 and I was very happy with the gun. It was super reliable and felt great. I have added a easy loader, Mesa Tactical side saddle, and Nordic 4 round extension. I wanted to run a Benelli M2, but the gun did not show up until the week before the final match of the series. Needless to say, it is bone stock.

So I would like to move into open class for next year as I have discovered that I hate loading the shotgun under the clock. So I need some help. First question is, should I stick with the 1100 which has proven itself reliable, or should I build the M2. Both guns have 22" barrels. If I go open, do I need to order a longer barrel for either gun? If so, is there a source for a new Benelli barrel? What size magazine extension are you guys running in open? I intend to mount a Millett Zoom Dot (I already have this) as the optic for the gun, does anyone know what scope mounts will work? Any mounting system for an Aimpoint will work if that helps. What speed loader system for the gun? How many speed loaders should I get? And last, what sources are you using for picking up these parts.

Sorry for all the questions guys. I am just really confused with all the stuff out there I would really like to narrow it all down.

Thanks, Juan

Edited by ddj8052

Just a couple of thoughts. Loading a shotgun takes practice....period. Whether it be with sticks or your hand there is no way around it. Open shotgun to some is attractive because there is the appearance of easy fast loading....however if you watch closely there are very few guys running an open shotgun who consistenly (95-98%) load without problems. In order to make the speedloaders work reliably it takes picking the appropriate shells (crimp must be consistent and hard), you need a speedloader guide (arredondo etc) and smoothing everthing those shells will touch on the way in the gun. At times loading an open gun is more complicated (select slug, etc. )

The reason for the above was your indication that you hated loading a shotgun on the clock....I just wanted you to know that for loading shotgun there is absolutely no free lunch.

That being said I would choose the M2 over the remmy just from a reliability standpoint. Send it to Benny Hill of Triangle Shooting Sports have hime "wizard" on it and you can get to practicing.

Edited by smokshwn

OK, I am going to build the Benelli, the nice thing about that is that I will have the Remmy for shooting Tactical. Now, I understand that Benny is the man for building Benelli's, but what I am trying to figure out is what parts to use, not who to send it to. I do appreciate any help, I really do, but I am really just trying to figure out what equipment to buy for it. I will probably not send the gun to Benny because I prefer to use my local gun smith for all my work (Randy Lee @ Apex Tactical). I have No doubt that Benny Hill is the best Benelli guy, but I would prefer to use Randy whenever possible. He is a great gunsmith in his own right even if he does not specialize in Benelli's.

So, can some one please help me with what I gear I should be looking into in order to make this Benelli go for Open division in 3 gun. I am most curious about trying to figure out how to mount the optic and what Barrel Length and mag extension I should get. I have done a ton of poking around, and while there is a ton of info on building a tactical class shotgun, I see very little info on building open guns. It seems that any time anyone asks all they get is "send it to Benny" for there answer.

Again, I mean no disrespect, but I genuinely would like some help figuring out this open thing.

Thanks again in advance,

Juan

speedloaders, arredondo shellwell, Jpoint, Docter, CmoreCTS, or Burris either melted into the rib or milled into the rear of the receiver, barrel porting at least 5 inches back from the muzzle or one of Firebird Firearms comps,.