Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rebuiling a KSC G17: How?

MemphisMechanic

So I cleaned my G34. Then I cleaned my carry gun (a 19). Then I decided it was time to clean my airsoft gun, since I never really had.

Like a tool, I used "real gun" solvent. It hasn't gone more than 3 or 4 rounds without jamming since then. Pretty sure I FUBAR'd the seals - they're not the kind of thing that looks like it'd take aggressive petroleum solvents in stride.. Is there an easy place to pick up all the wear parts in the thing?

Kinda worried about the gun in general, as well. The metal slide should have held up to a bit of Hoppe's just fine. The cheap plastic used everywhere else is likely much more easily dissolved than a real Glock's polymer. I don't know what I'll find when I disassemble it...

Edited by MemphisMechanic

[uPDATE in case someone someday finds this post and has a malfunctioning KSC/KWA]

Got it working.

Pulled the screw out of the back of the slide, took the slide guts apart. Cleaned the heck out of everything, and sanded down some burrs on the little round port that shoots the gas into the barrel behind the BB. It had some tiny burrs on its outside lip.

I've been running the gun fairly dry, like a real Glock. Not any more. I drenched the trigger mechanics in silicone, and the barrel (both inner and outer), feed ramp, recoil spring, and slide rail grooves got soaked with "real gun" oil. Gave the upper a good soaking in silicone oil as well.

Runs like a champ again. There was little point in playing with my airsoft plate rack when it amounted to *plink* *plink* *plink* <malfunction clearance> *plink* *plink* <malfunction clearance> *plink* <malfunction clearance>

I've been told we need to be careful about using "real gun oil" on Airsofts since most of them are petroleum based and can attack the rubber seals. I like Gun Butter as an Airsoft lubricant because, being wax based instead of petroleum based, it won't attack the rubber seals.