Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Dillon Bike

benos

Okay it's a Raleigh really.

A few months ago, a thief sliced the fairly fat cable lock on my Redline, single-speed, 29 incher. So I've been shopping for a new one. So my favorite bike store just happened to have a XXIX Raleigh in my size frame, in "Dillon Blue."

They're fun bikes to ride. It's like you're a kid riding a bike again. One gear, simple, fun to slide around on. And with the big tires/wheels, once you get 'er rolling it's like it rides itself.

And note - no more cable locks for me.

be

post-171-1250040841_thumb.jpg

Bike lock slight drift...

When researching for a new really tough bike lock, I've read that the circular tumbler locks are not cool because many of them can be picked with a Bic pen.

Any lock wizards out there that know if that's still the case?

I already bought a couple locks. One is a hardened chain lock - and the key (the bike shop person said) is a weird kind of key I've never seen before. (I know locks pretty good - I bought bigJoni a set of conventional lock picks many years ago for here birthday.) The "tumbler's are don't contact the edges of the key. Looking at the key from head on, it's flat and somewhat oval shaped. And the cylinder's pins contact the key on each side. Each side of the key has multiple, indentations of different depths for the pins to drop into. It looks like it would be pretty much impossible to pick. But the lock itself is shaped like a miniature U lock, with quite a bit of the lock body, where the key inserts, that extends past the "U". So it might be able to be fairly easily broken with a crowbar and a long steel tube, stuck over the part of the lock where the key inserts.

The chain looks real tough. But I might want to replace the lock with just some sort of badass padlock.

The other lock is a "Ultra Bike Club." The guy at the bike shop (they're very near ASU's campus) said in all the years they've been selling them, they've never had a student report that lock being defeated. And he also said that the ASU police called them and said whenever they have to remove a bike from campus with that lock, they have to torch it off. So that sounds like a pretty good lock. But it's not nearly as flexible as the 4' chain lock. Oh and it also uses the same type of key described in the previous paragraph.

And I'm pretty sure he also said the keys cannot be duplicated in the US. So keep the spares in a safe place.

be

Bike lock slight drift...

When researching for a new really tough bike lock, I've read that the circular tumbler locks are not cool because many of them can be picked with a Bic pen.

Any lock wizards out there that know if that's still the case?

I already bought a couple locks. One is a hardened chain lock - and the key (the bike shop person said) is a weird kind of key I've never seen before. (I know locks pretty good - I bought bigJoni a set of conventional lock picks many years ago for here birthday.) The "tumbler's are don't contact the edges of the key. Looking at the key from head on, it's flat and somewhat oval shaped. And the cylinder's pins contact the key on each side. Each side of the key has multiple, indentations of different depths for the pins to drop into. It looks like it would be pretty much impossible to pick. But the lock itself is shaped like a miniature U lock, with quite a bit of the lock body, where the key inserts, that extends past the "U". So it might be able to be fairly easily broken with a crowbar and a long steel tube, stuck over the part of the lock where the key inserts.

I have had good luck with the OnGuard Bulldog locks to keep my Gary Fisher attached to my truck. If you are locking the bike up for short trips you may look into the OnGuard NY lock. (NY Lock)

Edited by kaiserb