Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Prep questions

Wildkow

OK, finally got my press, XL650, and some components and now some questions. BTW, thanks ahead of time for your time and attention to this matter. First thing is I found some military brass with crimped primer's. So I purchased the RCBS case prepreation power center and the RCBS military crimp remover as seen below.

p002928sq02.jpg

My questions are . . .

1) Does the RCBS Military Crimp Remover seem to be doing it's job or did it remove too much brass around the crimp?

Before crimp removal . . .

3810306043_df904546f8_o.jpg

After crimp removal . . .

3811124094_e401fd18ff_b.jpg

3811124146_fd98ce5ec8_o.jpg

2) Are these case's below safe to use?

3810306225_1c9d16bc99_b.jpg

Wildkow

Edited by Wildkow

You sure the cases above were crimped. Looks like winchester white box brass to me. They have no crimps. Just the cases headstamped WC seem to be crimped. Also way to much bevel. I would worry about primers falling out.

Edited by chendersby

OK just got off the phone and RCBS told me that this call comes in many times from concerned reloaders. But there is nothing wrong with the military crimp remover bit. What reloaders are seeing is an optical illusion and if they still have concerns stop the case prep process and load a few rounds to check if the primer seats properly.

Soooooo . . .

I seated 3 primer's . . .

3814026388_aef3614aae_o.jpg

3814026274_35c67e4219_o.jpg

I know what your thinking, "way to deep" but I can assure you that what you are looking at is indeed an optical illusion. Those primers are only a curlyhair away from being flush with the bottom of the case. Additionally the round on the right was reamed with the "Primer Pocket Uniformer" bit only. If you look closely you can see some of the crimp still remains. I did not notice any additional effort needed to seat this primer. Can I continue to remove crimp's with this tool only?

After this I Mic'd the MCR ("Military Crimp Remover" bit) at 1.002", loosened the set key and tried to reset the cutting part of the bit, (it's just a case neck deburring tool) to a shallower depth. What a PIA! :angry2: After multiple tries I discovered that it would not cut worth a damn and left a substantial portion of the crimp behind no matter what depth I set it at even though I pushed it all the way in! It never cut to the same depth as before. I'm speculating here but I suspect they cut the carrier piece to an exact depth and then press the “Neck Deburring Tool” in under a substantial amount of pressure, before tightening the set key. Here are the photo's . . .

3814026228_69d58043d6_b.jpg

You can see on several of the rounds that I can't even remove all traces of the crimp!

It seems my only recourse is to load up some rounds and go shooting. :D

"I know you have chores for me baby but home defense and your safety come first around here. See you later this afternoon." :rolleyes:

Wildkow

p.s. BTW RCBS seems to be a pretty good company I purchased the FlashHole deburring tool for my 9mm and I was told to use the .35 cal 'case pilot stop' but it doesn't fit. I got it from MidwayUSA but RCBS didn't hesitate to send me out another one. Sweet! :D

I'm just getting going myself loading .223 with my new 650. I'm using the same RCBS prep station and have both the RCBS Mil crimp remover and uniformer bit. The uniformer bit is great. I'm not to happy with the performance of the crimp remover so i'm not even using it.

I also have the Dillion super swager and it works great. I hit the pocket with the uniformer bit to clean it up and then right into the Dillon swager. What it does is push a rod into the primer pocket and puts a small round bevel on the edge of the pocket and stretches it out. The same way every time. Primers go in smooth.

They look deep to me.. but I was also preping LC brass. My edges look round and you have to look under my magnifing lamp to even really see them.

As a side note, if your just getting going figuring out your test loads, you might be interested in getting a Blitz long nose funnel from an auto parts store. You can cut it down and replace your powder drop with it. Fit it into the top of the PD die and you can load different powder weights by hand for making different rounds in one run. I use the Lyman digital scale and drop 5 rounds of each weight by hand.

picture of funnel

Den

Edited by TIGwelder