Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90 gr. bullets

ong45

9SuperComp case,88gr Rem jhp.  5.5gr Clays, Win small primer, cannot remember OAL or fps at 'puter. Try at own risk!   Feels like a .22 short in my open gun/4 port comp.  Clays is too fast for 95gr lrn bullets I have, am experimenting with WAP(ramshot shillouete) at this time.  The load is accurate and won the A class steel stock at the Topton PIN/Steel match this last August.  I am building a stock gun for this, one round, open and stock load same for both.  Easier to load ammo for and keep track of it all.  I find it hard to keep track of all the  ammo for my guns.  Be safe, DougC

I tried that route for 9-pin loads and steel loads, including some 88gr .380 bullets.  In a stock gun it doesn't seem to offer any advantage.  In a ported 9-pin gun, by the time I had enough of a slow powder to keep the muzzle down and velocity to tip the pins off it was so loud and had so much flame I couldn't stand to shoot it.

115's or 125's work, I've got a ton of 'em, so that's what I stick with.

Now, in a revolver for steel, you can have something there.  Just use a 9mm expander to make sure your case necks have enough tension to hold the bullet.

ong45,

I know guys have used the light bullets successfully at the challenge. In fact, Doug K used them to win again this year. I don't know his load setup, but I think I remember something about him saying he's got a barrel or so of WW 231, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he used. If I talk to him soon, I'll double check.

be

• 2 months later...

I've had excellent results with the 88gr JHP Remington, the 90gr XTP, and the 95gr JSPHB from Zero (www.rozedist.com).  I use 6.4 to 6.7 grains of W231 with the 95 grain Zero bullet (catalog #R130) for a velocity in the 1450 to 1500 fps range.  The hollow base design means that the bullet is a little longer than some of the light weights.  I load these to 1.210".  Both of my pistols (compensated Caspian with Schumann barrel and Briley PlateMaster) will shoot near an inch from the bags at 25 yards with this load.

Most burn rate charts show WST as being slightly slower than 231, such as here:

http://www.panteraguns.com/eng/vihtaeng.htm

Winchester does not post a burn rate chart that I know of and they caution about using comparisons from them, due to the way the charts are figured and the actual response of powders in application.  To me, WST "acts" like a slightly faster powder than 231 and is slightly cleaner than 231.  

DB, thanks for that chart.  I understand the rates but there is some confusion as to when you would use a fast burning powder vs. a slower burning one.  

Is there a general rule as to when and what powder to use with heavy vs.light bullets.  And how does case size come into play?

We always ask top shooters what they are using.  How do they how what route to choose when developing a load?  

There must be a rule of thumb or guide line when choosing a powders for whatever the application might be.    thanks

The decision cycle goes something like this:

Clean?

Accurate?

Feed the comp?

Do I have it?

Some switch accuracy and cleanliness, but if you're going to shoot buckets of bullets, a clean load (at least in practice) has a lot going for it.

Other than that, the only general rules of thumb are very general indeed.  Like, don't use fast burners in huge cases (Bullseye in a .45 Colt) and don't use slow burners unless you want top-end performance from a high-pressure round.  (2400 is great in a 44 mag, but wasted in a .38 Special)

Pat, thanks.  Let me see if I get this.   Super wouldn't use slow powders because of it would fill the case and no room for the bullets.   Fast powder would leave too much empty space in large volume cases.  

But then why shooters use a Clays over a slightly less faster powder such as Unv. Clays?  

Can you feel the change in impulse?