Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Valdada 1x8 Illuminated

3 gun rick

The newest scope out by IOR for 3 gun is the 1x4 Pitbull. It is either 1x or 4x....no in between. But it comes in a rather small compact size although still heavy in comparison. I am not aware of IOR ever having a true 1x-8. Only one I know of tis the 1.5-8.

It is very heavy but the glass is very nice. Illumination is not daytime visible. The new CQB reticle with the thinner horseshoe is much improved over the old thick horseshoe.

Well it was out for a little while, but they discontinued it for a couple reasons. A few rumored reasons were lack of sales, but there are others reasons I cannot confirm and probably best not posted without first hand knowledge. I'd think with proper development, a little R&D with some T&E and they might be able to produce a nice product, none of those were offered that I know of the first time they tried to develop the optic and could be part of the reason the unit was unsuccessful. The market is different now than it has been in years passed, and now might be a better time for such a product. Cost could be prohibitive (IOR stuff ain't cheap), and with so many affordable 1-4 power variables out there it might be difficult to sway them to do it again.

:mellow: Does anybody have info on this scope? Wondering how bright the illumination is?

I shoot with the 1.5 to 8x, and have so for about a year. Here are my thoughts:

The reticle for it is outstanding. I use a 50/200 yard zero and the top of the 300 yard stadia line is point of impact at 300yards. The extra magnification is handy for long range shots and the glass is excellent as you might expect. I have not had any problem with shooting close targets at the 1.5 magnification as the field of view is very good for the corresponding magnification. The scope holds its zero very well and is quite rugged.

It is a heavy scope and the eye relief is less than the best. If you plan on adjusting the magnification a lot while you are shooting then you will find the magnification ring does not move as freely as other scopes. The illumination is virtualy worthless.

Overall, at 47 year of age I enjoy the extra magification for my eye sight, and the IOR scope is worth the money. If I had perfect eyesight then I would be willing to buy an IOR with less magnification for a little less money assuming it had all the other attributes mentioned above.

Thank you AP3 for all the info . I was concidering this scope for the same reason at 50 years of age I am looking for something with more magnification. I presently am using a mepota 1x4 and the illumination is awsom. There don't seem to be many scopes that have grate focal capacity & good Illumination

Appreciate your imput I'll keep looking :cheers:

A 1x-6x would've been nice. I know Swarovki makes one but I like the CQT reticle on the IOR. I use the 1.1x-4x and my buddy bought the 1.5x-8x earlier this year. He likes it a lot. His vision isn't bad enough to make use of the 8x and he finds himself fishing at 8x. The magnification ring is stiff. He uses an American Defense mount which doesn't give much room to make a quick adjustment to the ring but luckily I made him a zoom lever. This past weekend, he shot a 3" group at 300 yards which he says he wouldn't have been able to do at 4x. The BDC reticle is designed for a specific ammo at 8x so if you use something different at 4x, you'll have to do some math to be able to use the BDC. I wish the useless illumination (useless for our game) is an upgraded option.

A 1x-6x would've been nice. I know Swarovki makes one but I like the CQT reticle on the IOR. I use the 1.1x-4x and my buddy bought the 1.5x-8x earlier this year. He likes it a lot. His vision isn't bad enough to make use of the 8x and he finds himself fishing at 8x. The magnification ring is stiff. He uses an American Defense mount which doesn't give much room to make a quick adjustment to the ring but luckily I made him a zoom lever. This past weekend, he shot a 3" group at 300 yards which he says he wouldn't have been able to do at 4x. The BDC reticle is designed for a specific ammo at 8x so if you use something different at 4x, you'll have to do some math to be able to use the BDC. I wish the useless illumination (useless for our game) is an upgraded option.

That is a good point about doing the math for different magnifications. The safe route is to always use the same magnification for a particular distance.

The 1.5x8 has turrets so if you don't want to use the BDC, you can just dial elevation. I just change my elevation as needed. With 55s I use a 50/200, with 69 or 77, I use a 300 and dial past that.

Great scope.

I have a couple of friends that use the IOR 1X8. Neither of them ever use the scope at 8x. The illumination is not daylight visible but it does work well in low light or woods stages. These scopes were released at the shot show 08 or 09 I cant remember which. The stadia and crosshairs are very similar to the Burris XTR 1x4. The target turrets are a nice feature also; especially if you would rather dial your dope instead of using the stadia lines. The scopes are heavy; but all IOR's are. The magnification is better than 1.5 on the low end. It is very usable with both eyes open for CQB stages. Overall it is a very well designed scope that is very well suited for our game.

Product Data

Magnification ..............................................1.5-8x

Objective diameter .....................................26mm

Field of view @ 100 yards ............................89-22 feet

Exit pupil diameter.......................................3.25-17.5mm

Eye relief ...................................................3.50 inches

Diopter adjustment ....................................-3 to +3 dpt.

Click adjustment @ 100 yards...................... 1/4 MOA

Reticle adjustment range .............................75 MOA

Tube diameter ............................................35mm

Length ........................................................9.5 inches

Weight ........................................................24 oz

http://www.valdada.com/product/a2655086-d6...428d8b0c8b.aspx

They didn't have a 1-8 but they did have a 1-6 they discontinued.

Valdada USA created a few 1-6 prototypes about 3 years ago to play around with and determine feasibility. IIRC, it had a variant of traditional cross hair reticle as we had one for a few weeks. The scope was never a production model as others scopes got the go ahead.

The 1.5 - 8 was also brought over 3 yrs ago as a prototype and very nearly also did not make it ito production. Valdada USA's head did not see the market for the 1.5 - 8 when he personally was pushing the 2-12. Fortunately, we were able to persuade him that there was indeed a market for 1.5 - 8. It is actually one of the best sellers in the product line now. Hindsight is funny sometimes.

If I'm not mistaken it's a 35MM tube which makes your mount selection very slim.

That is true but American Defense makes a very nice mount in 35mm.

IOR makes mounts for it too, and they are included with the scope in your choice of low, medium, and high.