Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time reloading for pistol - 9mm

jakeb

Hey Guys & Gals,

I've been reloading for rifles for quite a while now and decided it was time to start reloading for my pistol.

I need some help though...I'm looking for recommendations on OAL and starting powder charge for my Glock 19 with a KKM barrel.

First question set...

I've narrowed down what I can afford and it looks like Montana Gold bullets are the way to go. I'll be loading 124gr bullets and want some advise on whether or not to go CMJ or JHP? Are JHPs harder to seat/measure?

Second question set...

What's a comparable bullet to get my load data from? Hornady?

Are there any recipes to start with for Winchester 1 1/2 primers using Titegroup and Winchester brass under 124gr CMJs or JHPs? What OAL should I start at then chamber test?

Thank you very much in advance for any replies.

- Jake

Hey Guys & Gals,

I've been reloading for rifles for quite a while now and decided it was time to start reloading for my pistol.

I need some help though...I'm looking for recommendations on OAL and starting powder charge for my Glock 19 with a KKM barrel.

First question set...

I've narrowed down what I can afford and it looks like Montana Gold bullets are the way to go. I'll be loading 124gr bullets and want some advise on whether or not to go CMJ or JHP? Are JHPs harder to seat/measure?

Second question set...

What's a comparable bullet to get my load data from? Hornady?

Are there any recipes to start with for Winchester 1 1/2 primers using Titegroup and Winchester brass under 124gr CMJs or JHPs? What OAL should I start at then chamber test?

Thank you very much in advance for any replies.

- Jake

Everyone has their preferences but I like the JHP better. The cost difference is minimal and for whatever reason, I seem to get better groups with them compared to RN profiles. No problem loading/seating the JHP bullets and for load data, you can pretty well extrapolate from that of other bullets of similar weight & design.

Search the 9mm reloading section here for lots of reloading data.

Remember this is pistol ammo, not precision rifle ammo. There's no need to be as anal retentive as some of the rifle reloaders can be.

I bell (flair) the case mouth when reloading pistol, which seems to be the norm, so there's no difference in difficulty in seating any copper clad bullet. Lead bullets sometimes require more bell to keep from shaving lead.

I like Montana Gold and Hornady HAP, both are good bullets.