Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Basic Info Question

Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting into this sport, and I was wondering what the average (and extreme) ranges the targets are placed at. What the closest target allowed? The farthest? The average range? I read through the rulebook, but couldn't find anywhere that discussed range limits. Any info will be appreciated.

Rob

There is a minimum limit for steel targets (due to safety) but as far as I know, no minimum limit for paper. I'm also not sure there is a maximum limit and there are some old long range classifiers that go out to 40 yards, but most classifiers stop at 20 yards.

Paper: Shortest distance = Arm's length :D; Max distance = There is none and 50 yards IS a standard exercise.

Steel: Shortest distance = 7 meters; Max distance = There is none, but be able to hit a steel plate at like 15-20 yards and you'll be fine.

Welcome aboard. :D

Rich

Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting into this sport, and I was wondering what the average (and extreme) ranges the targets are placed at. What the closest target allowed? The farthest? The average range? I read through the rulebook, but couldn't find anywhere that discussed range limits. Any info will be appreciated.

Rob

Trust me, you can do this. Go to a couple of shoots and talk to them. Bring your gun, a holster, and a couple of mags. You might decide to shoot. :cheers:

Be safe, have fun,

A.T.

As for the average distance to targets, it often depends on the club.

In our area we have a match almost every weekend. Several clubs (due to range constraints) will probably average 7 to 10 yards for paper targets. One club that puts on excellent matches every month (and THANK YOU Mr. Duncan) often has a good mixture of distances with always a few targets out to 35 or 40 yards.

No matter what the distance, this sport is fun!

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Hi, Rob! I hope you do decide to start shooting this sport. The distances are usually quite reasonable, with 10-20 yards on steel and 5-15 yards on huge paper targets being quite common. What is uncommon, is the amount of fun you can while constantly improving your abilities.

I don't now how many times I've been told, "But, I'm not good enough to shoot in a competition, my shooting really sucks." To which I usually reply, "Our shooting sucks too. But, it sucks less than it did before we started shooting in competition." Shoot just one match, and you are instantly a competitive shooter instead of a by-stander. And you have a new goal. "Suck less". :cheers:

Be able to shoot targets from 2 to 50 yards and you'll be OK. The 50 yarders are rare and the average shot is probably more like 10 yards. Give it a try, you'll know right away if this is a game for you. By the way welcome aboard. :cheers: