Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

California Gun Laws

Looks like with all the fires in CA. I may soon have an assignment there. What do the CA laws say regarding mag capacities? As a non resident can I take a high cap to a match in CA? I have No 10 round mags for my Limited or Open guns and hate to think I have to by another 8 or 10 mags just to shoot in CA....

I seem to recall a similar discussion w/ citations to the newest laws in CA such that if you are an out-of-state resident, there is an exemption to temporarily bring in what CA considers an "assault weapon" or a handgun that would otherwise be "not CA approved" for the specific purpose of entering a competition. There was NO such exemption for any magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds. Looks like you may have to shoot Open-10 or equivalent.

Hi Merlin,

Here's the poop:

Firearm first. You can bring in your Open or Limited gun without a problem. The only potential hiccup will be if your Open gun is threaded (which it most likely is), and technically, you can be found to be in posession of an assault weapon. The thinking is that it can have a silcener. However, not a big problem. Just FYI.

Second, is mags. You cannot bring in high capacity magazines into the state. Period. Too, you can't "borrow" high capacity mags either, without the owner being present.

There is a competition exemption that is allowed in the state, but the exemptions are given on a case to case/event to event basis by the Attorney General's office, and require liability releases and other documentation that you're not going to be dealing with. The basis is that the competitor's for the SASS End of Trail in Norco, CA needed an exemption for their lever action rifles that hold more than 10 rounds. Silly I know, but still the law.

My suggestion is that you shoot L10 while here. No headaches and you're totally compliant.

Rich

I did some research on this for the Steel Challenge. You are allowed to bring in an 'Assault Weapon' like an Open gun, for the purposes of competition (I'd bring proof of the law and competition too), threaded or not. You cannot give/lend/sell it to anybody while you're there. You are not supposed to bring in hicap magazines no matter what. Very likely nobody will ever check, but do you feel lucky?

The last time I had an assignment in CA. I "Swore" I would never accept an assignment there again... It's all comming back to me now why I said that. I got a call a few minutes ago with an offer to go work in TX, my home state. I'm thinking that is a better option... :)

Thanks for the help, Gentlemen.

and NO - I do not feel lucky, and with good reason too... :wacko: I fear the Gun Gestapo.