Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Some Education On Caspian

Bill Schwab

Does anyone know who will cut and weld two mags together reasonably, Beven Grams will do it for $100. I think thats a little hi.

If that includes his spring kit and basepad, then it's a great deal. Without all of his products it will be unlikely that the mag will reliably feed all 29 rounds. Welding the tubes together is only the first step, grinding the seam and polishing it up to feed ammo is another ballgame.

I have one of those 170mm Craig proMags and I have never got it to work reliable. I've tried every combination of springs and followers even caspian followers, backwards too. The rounds always nosedive and jam the gun and I can only get 25 rds in the mag.

Does anyone know who will cut and weld two mags together reasonably, Beven Grams will do it for $100. I think thats a little hi.

Are you using Super or Super comp brass? I've "tuned" around 10 of these for myself and friends. All worked 100% and all held 29 rounds of super comp if you load with an Undersized die. They don't work well with regular Super.

If that includes his spring kit and basepad, then it's a great deal. Without all of his products it will be unlikely that the mag will reliably feed all 29 rounds. Welding the tubes together is only the first step, grinding the seam and polishing it up to feed ammo is another ballgame.

They are talking about factory Caspian magazines, for which Grams doesn't (to my knowlege) make a base pad for. If the weld is done well, there is very little cleanup needed.

I have one of those 170mm Craig proMags and I have never got it to work reliable. I've tried every combination of springs and followers even caspian followers, backwards too. The rounds always nosedive and jam the gun and I can only get 25 rds in the mag.

Are you using Super or Super comp brass? I've "tuned" around 10 of these for myself and friends. All worked 100% and all held 29 rounds of super comp if you load with an Undersized die. They don't work well with regular Super.

Bucky,

I'm using Supercomp brass with the EGW undersized resizing die. Do you cut any coils from the spring? If not perhaps I need to trim my follower top to bottom a little more.

Otto from Otto Comp is willing to do it, but I do not know how much he charges. Give him a call: 314.638.3327

A guy i shoot with has a Caspian open gun for sale with 5 19 rd mags and 2 Criag big sticks he wants 1200 for it and i have been hesataint to buy it because of the whole mag. thing. He said he was never able to get the Criags to run reliably.I think after reading this i will talk to him again. What do you guys think about the price he has on the gun? No extra holes and a 3 port comp.With an Aimpoint.

Steve

Steve: Sounds like a pretty good buy for an Open Gun. With the lower power factor, three ports may work better than you think.

Bill: I use the full length extra power Wolff spring. I do cut the bottom of the follower off in the front and the back. I take about half of the "feet" off the follower. I also retrofit a Dawson Base pad for an STI to the magazine.

Bucky,

I only use Super comp brass in my Caspian

Gunther,

Not sure what to tell you. Check all the dimensions of the lips to see that they match a factory Caspian magazine.

Other than that, maybe consider a welded mag from Bevon. You can use the top part of a 10 round magazine and weld that to the high cap. I've had 3 that were made this way (yes, I had WAY too many Caspian magazines). It's well worth it in the long run as you're not as competitive as you can be in Open without a big stick IMO.

When I first started shooting high cap Open back in 1995, I wanted, no needed, a big stick to compete. I paid $200 for a complete welded mag from Craig. Was a well worthy inverstment and I've never regretted it.

• 11 months later...

I have a tuned big stick Craig mag that last year ran 100% with the Caspian follower in backwards <_< This year it hasn't. This mag held 28 rounds and worked best with an ISMI spring. It had a Dawson +1 basepad fitted per Bucky’s instructions. I run Starline Supercomp & 38 Lapua brass.

This year the mag stopped running; frequent ftf’s were the norm. Installation of an Arredondo purple follower and associated spring for an SVI mag made the mag again function 100%. As an added bonus the mag now holds 29 rounds, it almost holds 30! And yes, it fits in the gauge (barely). This same follower and spring work 100% in another Craig big stick :wub:

As a side note I also tested the Grams follower/spring which ran in my primary Craig big stick, but not the other (less tuned) one.