Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Formula 1 Crash

outerlimits

It looks like Massa is done for the rest of the year and 7-time champ Michael Schumacher is going to replace Massa untill he is ok to compete again...

I think I am going to watch the upcoming races...

SC

re-read their findings and they said any of the three injuries would have been fatal, but the pentration injury had to have been the worst. I'm pretty sure they said both suspension parts that caused injuries were still attached to the wheel/tire.

There was a lot of coverup, it seems, as the last second and a half of video seems to have disappeared and there was a lot of speculation that the steering wheel shaft broke at a weld from a recent shortening effort and that led to the impact. I don't think we'll ever know, but even if they'd had a wheel/suspension tether it wouldn't have likely made any difference as all of that was ripped off the chassis. The more I think about it, the more I realize how tragic that whole event was. :(

The very next race (after Imola) in 1994 was Monaco. The Grand Prix Driver's Association was re-formed at Monaco. Interestingly, Senna was trying to get it reformed earlier in the year. Though, at Monaco, Karl Wendlinger was seriously injured during practice (hit his head on a plastic water barrier) and never drove GP again, though he's had a quite successful career in sports and touring cars.