Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap crap that works okay

Tim James

So my cheap 1-4x28 (30mm tube) Leapers survived sight in!!! 1.5x is true one power.....so I doubt that it actually goes up to 4x. Optics are so/so......but will be (I hope) just what the Doctor ordered for the DPMS Tri-Gun Tac Op Heavy Class. Only 200-250 rounds to go.

Hmm.. I was going to throw a simple red dot on there given that local matches don't go past 50 yards and I just wanted to play with one, but now I'm tempted by that Millet DMS-1 (or similar) because I'll be able to try out a few more aspects to an optic than just a dot. Total rifle newbie so I want to see what I like. (And as I mentioned, I'd go try out everyone else's equipment first but the birthday is coming too quickly!)

I also noticed the Vortex Strikefire was not parallax free below 50 yards. Is that at all relevant to our game?

See, look what you've all made me do: research! I feel myself getting sucked in. :)

Hmm.. I was going to throw a simple red dot on there given that local matches don't go past 50 yards and I just wanted to play with one, but now I'm tempted by that Millet DMS-1 (or similar) because I'll be able to try out a few more aspects to an optic than just a dot. Total rifle newbie so I want to see what I like. (And as I mentioned, I'd go try out everyone else's equipment first but the birthday is coming too quickly!)

By the next SAPSA match I'll have my DMS-1. If you will attend let me know and I'll bring it for you to see.

Well, I have to admit defeat. I was hoping a well qualified original post would be enough to get a quick cheap recommendation, but you guys put too much doubt in my head! :rolleyes:

I will take a look at a few optics at the local matches and find something I like for Christmas. I have lots of other gun gear coming in for my birthday that will keep me busy, and I love shooting irons anyway. Will grab the Miculek comp for the hell of it.

Something I noticed. With a red dot, eye relief is not important. With a regular scope, eye relief is critical even at 1X.

Is it this way with expensive scopes also?

Yes, but no. The higher the quality of the scope the better and more generous in the eye relief, usualy. This is

why you have to try out the scope your looking at. I dont like eye relief problems and so a fixed 4X ACOG works for

me, always in the same place and very generous...