Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time Shooting Out Of Usa

Rufus The Bum

Sorry Rufus,

but your equipment (6" gun and 140 mm magazines) doesn't meet IPSC Standard division requirements.

The gun in ready condition with empty magazine inserted shall fit the box in Standard Division, period.

No deviation allowed.

This really bothered me here in Italy for the first two years of my IPSC shooting, because I shot a .45 SS Colt 1911, singlestack, with 8 rds magazines (no 10 rds allowed, and no Lim-10 Division).

Boy, was I at disadvantage competing against widebody S_Is!

If I were in your shoes, I'd check with IPSC Thailand about what rulebook is going to be applied to the match(es) you are going to attend: maybe they'll use USPSA, or maybe IPSC.

Rufus,

I can guarantee you 100% that the IPSC Thailand match in Hua Hin in December will use the IPSC rulebook. Apart from the fact that they always do, it's a condition of them obtaining Level III sanctioning.

The only region in the world with an exemption to use the USPSA rulebook is the USPSA.

And Skywalker is correct that your gun with an empty magazine inserted (and all magazines must comply), must fit wholly within the IPSC box, and I that know Range Master Chepit Dulay will be checking compliance of all Standard Division competitors.

Hope this helps.

Rufus,

Vince is correct. We will be using version 14 - September 2000 of the IPSC rule book for the Thailand Level III this December.

At our local match last weekend, all the Standard division guys were checking their gun in the box to make sure that they are in compliance for the Level III match. (The Production shooters were also testing their trigger weight and the Open shooters their 170mm magazine lengths).

The length of the magazine in Standard division is not measured, as long as the gun, with the magazine inserted, fits into the box.

If your Standard gun does not comply, do you have an alternative?

Or, would you like to borrow a Standard gun from one of the shooters here. Many of the guys shooting in Open division also own a Standard gun. I am sure that I can arrange a good quality loaner if you need one. You could arrive here a day or two before the match and practice with the loaner gun to used to its timing and sights.

Regards

Peter

Vince,

Thanks for picking up the typo. 2002 it is. Must have hit the wrong key.

By the way, when you are preparing the PDF version of the new rule book, would it be possible to create/ test the PDF file so that it is PDA-friendly. I carry the current rule book on my Palm but some of the tables and diagrams don't display well. I believe that there is a way to create a PDA-friendly version of PDF documents, so that the same document works well on all platforms.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

The four (4) new rule books (Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle, Tournament) should be uploaded to the IPSC website in mid-December. If we did it any earlier, people might start using them before their "use from" date of 1 January 2004.

Normally we upload them in MS Word, but I'll certainly try my best to offer PDF files in both A4 and Palm size. I have the full Adobe suite, so I guess I'll just need to putz around with it for a while to see how to do it.

Oh I have other divisions I can shoot in, but I mainly shoot Limited and was planning on shooting it, but if it's not IPSC legal, I will just shoot either open or revolver, it's not a big deal really. I thought I'd ask before I traveled all that way to find out my stuff isn't legal.

Rufus,

Mark my words - you're gonna have a ball at the Thai match, which is a great place to shoot for the first time overseas.

When you get there, tell Range Master Chepit Dulay that he better take good care of you, or else Uncle Vinny will spank him, but not the way he likes it (i.e. no fishnets or feather boas)

:)

Rufus,

If you want to borrow my .40 Standard gun and mags to shoot the match you are more than welcome. I will shoot the pre-match. If you need more belt than 32ish bring your own.

You will have a great time.

Joel

Rufus,

We will have a revolver division in the match but I don't think that there will be many entrants.

So, if you want to increase your probability of taking home a trophy (beautiful Thai ceramic on an engraved base), bring your revolver.

If you want lot's of tough challenging competition, bring your open gun...

Regards

Peter