Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Problems

JThompson

I finally found something to help be break the habit of looking for the steel to fall/hit and to get the visual patients you hear about so often. I set all the poppers not to fall and did the same with the plate rack. Since they no longer fall you aren't looking for any movement to indicate a hit. Do not paint the steel either... Double plug so you don't listen for your hit. Now all you are left with to KNOW you have the hit is to see the sight/dot lift from the target. It sounds simple, but I was having issues with this and I KNEW what I should be seeing, but for some reason I was not patient enough to see it. This is a tuff habit to break, but I think I'm well on the way now. In has in effect, slowed my shots down a bit, but I take one for one instead of 3 for 2. You are already programmed to get the hit, but the problem comes in when there are several ways to verify it. You wind up substituting sound, or a visual of the bullet hitting, for what you should be doing which is calling the shot from your sights. This is both slower and it divides you attention from what you just shot and what you are going to shoot. How many times have you swung off a target only to swing back to it for a makup and then move on? That takes a ton of time.

So now you are forced to call every shot just like on paper, I never had an issue with paper, only steel. I hope this helps someone struggling with the issue.

JT

Edited by JThompson

• 1 month later...
I finally found something to help be break the habit of looking for the steel to fall/hit and to get the visual patients you hear about so often. I set all the poppers not to fall and did the same with the plate rack. Since they no longer fall you aren't looking for any movement to indicate a hit. Do not paint the steel either... Double plug so you don't listen for your hit. Now all you are left with to KNOW you have the hit is to see the sight/dot lift from the target. It sounds simple, but I was having issues with this and I KNEW what I should be seeing, but for some reason I was not patient enough to see it. This is a tuff habit to break, but I think I'm well on the way now. In has in effect, slowed my shots down a bit, but I take one for one instead of 3 for 2. You are already programmed to get the hit, but the problem comes in when there are several ways to verify it. You wind up substituting sound, or a visual of the bullet hitting, for what you should be doing which is calling the shot from your sights. This is both slower and it divides you attention from what you just shot and what you are going to shoot. How many times have you swung off a target only to swing back to it for a makup and then move on? That takes a ton of time.

So now you are forced to call every shot just like on paper, I never had an issue with paper, only steel. I hope this helps someone struggling with the issue.

JT

I use paper plates in practice.

No sound, no falling, just small white targets.

staple them to old regular targets.

Just be careful with paper plates to NOT LOOK FOR HOLES.

I sighted in my AR with a red dot on it last weekend. With my 29yr old 20/15 eyes, I could make out the holes at fifty yards. You have to be careful to stay sight-focused when the target offers that much visual feedback. Just make sure you're aware of the trap, and be careful to avoid stepping in it. I shoot at paper plates a lot, too. They're cheap.