Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check my math please.... for getting under the 80 second mark

Chills1994

Okay, if I have this correct for the bona fide Steel Challenge matches, there are 8 stages. IIRC, on 7 stages, the best 4 times/scores are added together. For the outer limits stage, again, IIRC, it is just the best 3 strings that are added together. So in total there are 31 "good" strings. Doing the math here, by taking 80 seconds and dividing it by 31, that means each string averages out to 2.5806 seconds.

Does that sound correct to you all?

Okay, if it does, then for me to break the 100 second mark, it should just be 100 divided by 31, which is 3.2258.

Locally, here in the St. Louis area, we shoot "speed plates". If the weather is NOT too brutal this time of year we will shoot 8 "steel challenge type" stages. It would be nice to consistently get under and stay under the 100 second mark.

One last dumb question, for legitimate Steel Challenge matches, if you shoot a .22, it is strictly at the low ready, and you better have a red dot equipped .22 to be competitive....is that right? Said another way... there isn't an iron sighted .22 division?

Thanks!

:cheers:

There is a iron sight rimfire division, at the Steel Challenge, the US Steel nationals, and all the regional Steel challenge matches. On a good day I can come within a few seconds of good shooters with open .22s...just depends on how the stars align and if the damn RIMFIRE guns work.... :roflol:

They are all shot with a flag in front of the box, 6ft away if I remember correctly (Outer Limits would have a flag at each left and right box). Muzzle pointed at the flag.

You should be good to go. Remember that SC is about consistency. If you have 4 good runs that are almost the same, you are getting there and can try for a smoker on the 5th run. That is how you want to do it~!

Good luck,

DougC

You can also pick up a basic red-dot "scope" for a 22LR Pistol for $30. They don't have to be as recoil-sensitive/rugged as most pistol scopes and C-Mores. I have one on my Buckmark that works great!

JeffWard

Thanks for all the replies.

Doug Carden wrote:

.... and if the damn RIMFIRE guns work....

well... this combo has worked just about flawlessly for me, drawing from a holster too:

Beretta22conversionKit.jpg

I had one steel/speed plates match a few months ago that was a complete wreck for me because it was jamming all the time. I did a little bit of hillbilly or redneck gunsmithing by taking a brass hammer to the magazine feed lips right before the last stage of the match. It has worked fine ...oh...about 99.9% since then.

Unfortunately, there just isn't a good way to put an optic on it. :mellow:

I do have a newer and improved version of the Advantage Arms .22 kit for a 1911. I finally got to run one mag's worth of ammo through it last weekend. It ran. Yay! I might see about buying a weaver rail for it like this one here and then buy a C-more, preferably an aluminum railway model, so the girlfriend can start shooting at the steel matches. And I could possibly take the C-more railway off and put it on my AR for 3 gun matches. ;)