Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 something & career change: thoughts?

As I've had to get rid of "stuff" due to lay-off and then relocation to a smaller place, I'm finding new joy in things I already had. So one suggestion might be to start your down-sizing now. Maybe even look at staying in IT but living in an RV so you can move to whatever job interests you.

Another suggestion would be to go through the various aptitude mechanisms like Meyers-Briggs, What color is your parachute, and Strengths Finder (1) to get clarity on where to go before you jump. Here's a personal example. In Meyers-Briggs/Keirsy I'm an INTJ/Mastermind. Not that I'm particularly smart, I just think in certain strategic ways. That is reinforced by a self-evaluation based on Strengths Psycology. In Strengths Psycology I'm a Futurist, Learner, Activator (Instigator), amongst other things.

As an INTJ, one struggle is wanting people to make sense. They tend not to and we (INTJs) can see a reasonable path to follow but no one else is on it. This has frustrated me for years and gotten me into trouble when I speak out in meetings.So it's time to quit whining about how things should be and building the plan (mastermind) to where we should be (futurist) and understanding what prevents us from getting there (learner); then I start helping folks see how good the plan is (activator).

Living within what I'm created to do helps me stay alive physically and mentally. If you dread work, time to change it. Proverbs 17:22 (NIV) "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."

Leam

(1) Note that I still think Strengths Psycology is more "pop" than accepted science. However, I've found the ideas useful which is why I mention them.

Edited by leam