Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A.R.M.S. Mount and BUIS for Aimpoint CompML2 on Flat top AR15

joshua79109

Hello all.

I'm new to the sport. I was in the military and have experience as a shooter.

I am trying to set up a RRA flat top with an Aimpoint CompML2 and buis . At some point I might want to add the 3X magnifier. I do have the tactical handle, but it appears to have no use for me (if it can help me please let me know)

I believe I have decided to use A.R.M.S gear.

So with all of that said I'm looking for help to make sure I understand what I need. I believe I would like to have a 1/3 lower co witness. I also think I want to keep the regular front sight for now - I'll swap it if it becomes necessary.

A.R.M.S has the A.R.M.S.® #22M68™ Throw Lever Ring - is this what I need and if so what spacer will get me to the 1/3 lower co witness.

They have a few different buis - I would like to be able to flip it down and I'd like to be able to make as much adjustment as reasonably possible. What is the best version for me?

Is there anything I'm not asking?

If you suggest a different brand all together - please include the info to get me to the same place (lower 1/3 co witness and buis)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a separate question - I'm considering buying another Aimpoint CompML2 to add to another AR with a carry handle - by mounting to the carry handle (over the hand guards). Anyone who has tried this let me know how it worked for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks if advance for anyone who shares their time to give good information.

Looks like the Larue might be the way to go. What is the favorite for buis?

And

Thanks Again

I am using either the DPMS A2 rail sight (not a flip up) or Troy ( flip up ) for the rear and either a regular A2 front sight or Troy flip up front. For flip ups the Troys are good sights, but pricey. Magpul makes a flip up thats about 1/3 the cost.

I always run mine with the BUIS up so the DPMS works fine.

Mike

Mike P & Derek45 --- Thanks for your help

After the replies yall left I spent some time going through other posts and decided yall changed my mind.

I went with the Larue mount LT150 and the Troy Folding Battle Sight

Thanks again for your time!

Using a arms cantalever type mount ever sinvce the ban went away. Still holding strong. I do not remove the scope I see no need.

Laure is better grear.

You can really save some cash by not getting the aimpoint and 3x mag. Just purchase a 1-4 scope.

Using a arms cantalever type mount ever sinvce the ban went away. Still holding strong. I do not remove the scope I see no need.

Laure is better grear.

You can really save some cash by not getting the aimpoint and 3x mag. Just purchase a 1-4 scope.

I know that lots of people prefer the 1-4 scope and that they are very good with them. I went for the Aimpoint because I've never been as fast/accurate through a 1-4 scope and I like my weapons to be available for protection if necessary. The magnifier is not really that important to me, I might try it to help on a longer shoot and just want to make sure I set up in a way that doesn't take that option away. I like regular scopes and have some on other rifles, I'm just not as comfortable with one for up close work.

Thanks for the post.

First off let me say I perfer the Larue mounts....but I found the 1/2 spacer with the A.R.M.S mount was better for me on my 10.4" upper (I know not a 3 gun setup) co-witness. The nice thing with the A.R.M.S. mount was the use of the spacers to customize the height for a particular weapon....I have not had one loosen up yet.

Mounting an aimpoint to the top of the handle can be a PITA. I would recommend getting an ARMS swansleeve that allows you to scout mount the aimpoint over the front handguards. Aimpoint also makes a swan sleeve for this, but is moves and that totally junks the accuracy. I used a 1/2 inch space block for this and got really good cowitness on my GUU.

I was originally going to use the ARMS mounts, but I bought the Larue and it's on it's way. I'll set it up and see what I get - I'll post the results. I might have to end up swapping, but most posts I read sounded like the Larue would be the way to go. Everyone knows how posts can be, almost everyone likes what they have and most never tried anything else. Best thing would have been to see it on a similar rifle (in person), but that wasn't an option. I don't mind swapping if I have to. Thanks for the info everyone and keep it coming if you have more good info.

I was originally going to use the ARMS mounts, but I bought the Larue and it's on it's way. I'll set it up and see what I get - I'll post the results. I might have to end up swapping, but most posts I read sounded like the Larue would be the way to go. Everyone knows how posts can be, almost everyone likes what they have and most never tried anything else. Best thing would have been to see it on a similar rifle (in person), but that wasn't an option. I don't mind swapping if I have to. Thanks for the info everyone and keep it coming if you have more good info.

Trying stuff out. That's why there is a classified section. :D

Whatever you do have fun with it and be safe.

With a flat top receiver, there's nothing wrong with either the Larue or the ARMS IMO, but with a carry handle I would go with this:

http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode...=mounts&id=[hsh]39

Gregor_k -

Thanks for the pic - I didn't realize how tight that set up is - looks like its easy to run out of rail. I looks like I should have started with the cantilever mount so I wouldn't have to get use to something new if I add the magnifier. Is there another way to put that together or does it call for the cantilever mount? I can see that you have the set up I am going for (I guess you like it).... how far out do you shoot with it and do you use the same zero all the time or do you change for different shoots?

Thanks for the pic and any info you might give.

I've gone as far as 300 meters on full uspsa targets and some flasher targets used at the west point matches.

200 what ever dia Topton uses at the rifle matches. Up close the dot works like an open gun. My misses are my lack of practice and no flat to the optical system on the rifle. Cost of ammo and lack of free time make my matches my practice sessions. :roflol:

I used the aimpoint for a while but found the dot lacking on the longer distance targets or 100 yard head shots only. I bought the 3x mag w/ Samson flip mount for the longer range stuff. It works,for me, but I have more money on top of the rifle with the mounts than what that Colt cost me. I've also found I had to run the butstock 1 click in (4 pos) to get full field of view while using the 3x magnifier. I don't think you could get full field of view with an A2 length stock unless you really turkey neck.

With the ripper knobs now for 1-4x scopes and having the ability to purchase a true 1x scope I don't recommend that rifle setup. When I converted over an old ban era Bushmaster A2 to a flattop w/ free float tube. I went with a Leupold VX-II scope and a RRA mount. total cost of the scope and mount was less than just the aimpoint alone.

ETA

If your not running a BUIS you can move the flip mount more rearward and may be able to use a non cantilever aimpoint mount. With the BUIS and 2 optics I have no more flattop free. I bought the cantilever mount from day one as I liked having the top more forward with out getting a free float rail installed.

Edited by Gregory_k