Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Blazer Aluminum is boxer primed

dickwholliday

i've noticed that the newer Blazer Aluminum cased ammo is boxer primed in the 9mm and the 40....i loaded and fired handfull of the 40's with no ill efects....primer isn't very tight going in but i've loaded a lot of brass cased that was a lot worse.......D I C K

Yes, the Blazer aluminum cases have been boxer primed for a while now. Still not a good idea to reload them.

Even with the older Berdan primed Blazer I would get several calls annually from shooters saying that you really could reload them. That is known by CCI. When the first aluminum cases were made, CCI reloaded then repeatedly to demonstrate the durability before they offered then for sale.

The reasons not to reload than stem from differences in internal volume, and the corrosive qualities of aluminum. The aluminum id coated to protect it from corrosion, and resizing will scrape through the coating, exposing the base aluminum. Corrosion in aluminum takes the form of pits reaching into the metal versus brass corrosion that is a surface patina.

There may also be differences in the springback, and the dies are designed for brass springback, not aluminum.

So, yes, they can, technically be reloaded, but don't.

Guy

i've noticed that the newer Blazer Aluminum cased ammo is boxer primed in the 9mm and the 40....i loaded and fired handfull of the 40's with no ill efects....primer isn't very tight going in but i've loaded a lot of brass cased that was a lot worse.......D I C K

I'd stop and quickly. It's been done (repeatedly) by others and the aluminum will split quickly. Brass is plentiful and not worth the risk especially, in .40.

Good to know. Nevertheless, IF we are talking about MINOR loads, AND there is an upcoming "lost brass" match then I can understand reloading them ONCE.

Otherwise, just pay more for real brass.

Yes, the Blazer aluminum cases have been boxer primed for a while now. Still not a good idea to reload them.

Even with the older Berdan primed Blazer I would get several calls annually from shooters saying that you really could reload them. That is known by CCI. When the first aluminum cases were made, CCI reloaded then repeatedly to demonstrate the durability before they offered then for sale.

The reasons not to reload than stem from differences in internal volume, and the corrosive qualities of aluminum. The aluminum id coated to protect it from corrosion, and resizing will scrape through the coating, exposing the base aluminum. Corrosion in aluminum takes the form of pits reaching into the metal versus brass corrosion that is a surface patina.

There may also be differences in the springback, and the dies are designed for brass springback, not aluminum.

So, yes, they can, technically be reloaded, but don't.

Guy