Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Regular & Magnum Primers in 9MM

Estimator

This is a follow-up to the Post I entered on June 19 “Magnum Primers in 9mm”

The test consisted of three different amounts of HS-6, Starline +P brass, Federal Small Pistol Regular and CCI Small Pistol Magnum primers. Bullets were Missouri Bullet Company 9MM .356, BH18, 125Grain RN. Velocity measurements from a “Shooting Chrony Alpha” placed approx 5 ft from muzzle. Results is average of 5-shot strings.

Pistols used were a S&W Model 639 and KAHR PM9. The PM9 was included to see how much difference the 3 inch barrel would make.

Results:

5.7 grains HS-6 S&W Regular Primer 1017fps Magnum Primer 1023fps

5.7 grains HS-6 KAHR “ 905fps “ 896fps

6.2 grains HS-6 S&W Regular Primer 1108fps Magnum Primer 1119fps

6.2 grains HS-6 KAHR “ 978fps “ 979fps

6.4 grains HS-6 S&W Regular Primer 1177fps Magnum Primer 1131fps

6.4 grains HS-6 KAHR “ 1050fps “ 993fps

There are several things to consider here. The test velocity readings were from a 5 shot average and would benefit from a much larger average. The Magnum Primers are fairly old. As I mentioned in the original Post I bought them “out of desperation” at an estate auction. Judging from the style of box in which the primers are packaged, and the price stickers, I suspect the primers are 12 to 17 years old. Furthermore, one type of powder was used. A similar test with a wide variety of powders would be beneficial.

I doubt the age of the primers would be a factor if they were stored correctly, but think it is worth mentioning.

There were two goals in conducting this test. One, see if there was much of a velocity difference, and second (and more importantly) try to determine if the magnum primers caused a noticeable increase in pressure.

The pressure issue is difficult to judge by just looking at the fired primers resulting from only one type of relatively slow burning powder. Especially since the Federal primers are quite soft and the CCI primers are much harder. However, it did not seem that the pressure was excessive in any of the loads.

I hope this provides at least a bit of information to those readers with similar concerns.