Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Dremel model/package for firearm work

cold

When buying a dremel for gunwork it pays to shop around.

I found that looking for the Complete Dremel Rotary Gunsmith Kit is the best value. It not only includes the tool but a nice bottle of Maker's Mark that helps helps bolster confidence and precision when working on your gun. :P

When buying a dremel for gunwork it pays to shop around.

I found that looking for the Complete Dremel Rotary Gunsmith Kit is the best value. It not only includes the tool but a nice bottle of Maker's Mark that helps helps bolster confidence and precision when working on your gun. :P

:roflol::cheers:

Nothing like a little liquid courage to steady the shaky hand before you touch the sanding roll to metal. . . .

I've a Craftsman rotary tool thats worked very well- a corded version. I think media selection for the application and technique are key to a good job. And of course remembering that you can always take off a little more. . . .

I've a Craftsman rotary tool thats worked very well- a corded version. I think media selection for the application and technique are key to a good job. And of course remembering that you can always take off a little more. . . .

I burned up my Craftsman rotary years ago porting a set of cylinder heads. This was in the late 80s, but even then Sears' lifetime warranty was not valid on electrical stuff, but within the discretion of the tool manager at each store. I think the real reason was that they had already shifted production of many tools to China, with the consequent drop in quality.

I have the Dremel variable full kit now and like it, but it is more useful for sanding and polishing rather than trying to remove any quantity of metal. As previously stated, these run at relatively high speed, but low torque. No one can hand hold such a device to cut metal without a whole lot of practice. By the time you have the practice (i.e., ruined lots of stuff with it) most people realize there is a better way. If you insist on using such a device to remove metal, find a bracket or fixture that will hold the tool and work steady. By the time I wear this one out, I'll likely purchase a Foredom tool.

+1 to the poster who uses a Dremel as a lathe tool post grinder with a threaded bracket. I've thought about modifying such a device to mount on the side of a bench top mill. The combination of the high speed possible with the Dremel plus the precise movement of the mill table would allow precision milling with 1/16 and 1/8 inch end mills for example.