Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N310 and lead 200gr bullets for major 40 load

gmel

I am working up a load for my Brazo's pro sc using N310 (3.7 gr) and a 200gr lead bullet with a oal of 1.220 = 168 PF.

I want to stay with the lead bullets because of cost but am concerned about the powder I am using. Any suggestions?

Although the only 200grn bullet I have experimented with so far is a Rainer 200grnHP, I share your concern for using such a fast powder with that bullet in the 40S&W. I have tried lead 180grn and 220grn bullets in this caliber however. I don't know what you have in your "powder locker" that you might have on hand, but some experimentation with the next step slower range of powders might give you some breathing room as far as a safety factor for pressure is concerned. Something in the Unique, Silhouette, HS-6, 231, burning speed might be more appropriate... but then I'm kinda on the chicken side when it comes to reloading. I'm sorry that I don't have any data for for you using this bullet or with that OAL or I might be of more specific help to you. Hopefully, someone here will be able to supply you with a recipe to directly answer your question. The only powder I have used so far with the Rainer 200grnHP is Longshot, which is a bit on the slower side of the spectrum, but certainly produces adequate velocities at lower pressures... In fact the problem is finding a load SLOW enough with Longshot! However, Silhouette showed promise with the 180grn lead bullets I tried and if you have some of that available you might give that a try. It's a very small grain powder and meters nicely in my Dillon 650 so that is not a problem. I don't remember seeing any smoke with it either with the lead bullets, but that would vary by manufacturer and the type of lube being used too. My notes said it was very accurate and fed well in my XDm and XD service, but again your spring rates may vary. I used 5.7 grn of the Silhoutte for the 180grn lead bullet, so you would require somewhat less for the 200grn. That load produced a power factor of 169 for 20 shots about 10 days ago for me with the lighter bullet in the 4.5" XDm. You didn't say if you have a 5" or 6" barrel so it would be hard to recommend something without having proofed them out myself. I hope someone here is more able to supply you with a solid load for your pistol... I'm just sharing your concern.

Been there, done that....long OAL, etc.....was fine all year, then blew a case at the Nats....luckily the case ejected and I kept shooting.....Not worth it, IMHO.....

VV320 or Solo 1000 or Titegroup will do the same thing safer and cheaper.......

DougC

I am working up a load for my Brazo's pro sc using N310 (3.7 gr) and a 200gr lead bullet with a oal of 1.220 = 168 PF.

I want to stay with the lead bullets because of cost but am concerned about the powder I am using. Any suggestions?

My old .40 S&W IPSC Loads List (available at IPSC Loads Lists) includes many loads for 200gr lead bullets, with powders ranging from N320 & WST (at the fast end) through N350 & WW571 (at the slow end).

These are loads reported by active USPSA/IPSC shooters, and should give some "real world" suggestions as to where people found their "sweet spot".

Edited by jmaass

N310 and 200gr FMJ is a great load. The load is quite safe as long as the you do your part. I visually look into every case as I am placing the bullet to ensure I have not double charged. You also want to load long (1.185-1.200) and crimp to prevent bullet set back. Using a LEE Undersize die is a great idea also.

I have seen first hand the results of a double charge of N310. Your gun becomes a paper weight and if your lucky, your hand stings for a couple of days.

I recently discoverd Ramshot Competition and 200grs. Just as soft as N310 and a heck of lot cheaper.

I love the loads but, the worry with the pressure and charge. I don't think it is worth it. Clays was the like the 310 load and a couple of blown cases changed my mind. I tried it even after a friend went through the same issue.

I use 320 now.

Edited by vetts1911

Is N320 really that much slower than N310? I have used Bullseye in my 45 ACP loads for almost 30 years, but really like the cleaner burning powders and softer recoil. I do not want to take a chance on hurting myself or someone else, much less distroying one of my guns.

Tight Group, solo 1000, and W231, N320, keep being suggested for the S&W 40.

Keep an eye on your barrel for leading with that fast of a powder. I shot tons of 205gr cast bullets in my 40 over the years and found that even 320 seemed to be a bit too fast and caused leading in the barrel. I switched to 330 and the leading was reduced. If your accuracy is good and you don't have a lot of leading with 310, keep using it. Be aware though that lead build up in the wrong places will increase your chamber pressure, and may cause case ruptures.

EG

Is N320 really that much slower than N310? I have used Bullseye in my 45 ACP loads for almost 30 years, but really like the cleaner burning powders and softer recoil. I do not want to take a chance on hurting myself or someone else, much less distroying one of my guns.

Testing N310 and N320 back to back I can tell the difference, but just barely.

My belief and experience are that with proper loading practices (OAL, neck tension) N310 is safe in 9mm up to 147gr and .40 up to 180gr. Beyond that... not quite so sure.

Edited by MoNsTeR

Testing N310 and N320 back to back I can tell the difference, but just barely.

My belief and experience are that with proper loading practices (OAL, neck tension) N310 is safe in 9mm up to 147gr and .40 up to 180gr. Beyond that... not quite so sure.

I shot 310 for a while and could tell only a slight difference in feel over 320. The difference was so slight, for me, that I decided to switch back to 320 to extend my brass life a little.