Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver barricade techniques

Deaf Smith

Any competition where you have to hold the pistol for a barricade. It can be NRA Action pistol, IPSC, Open or Metallic class.

The idea is how to safly do it without loosing a finger or worse.

Thanks!

Like Kevin said, need more information. Primarily barrel length, if an open gun will you have barricade wings on the pistol? In metallic and production you currently can not lock onto the barricade. You can only rest your knuckle and thumb (PPC style) or the back of your hand against the back of the barricade.

With a longer barrel revolver shooting open a glove would only be necessary to protect your hand from the flame and pressure coming from the cylinder gap.

Tell us more.

And, in other sports (IPSC, IDPA)...it's probably not beneficial to be touching a prop for support. You never know the stability of the prop, and you always end up with a different recoil/shooting impulse than you are used to.

But, I think what you are asking is just how to do it without getting cut up by the gas ?

I have a Ron Power 686+ set up for open class Action Pistol. Gloves are not needed as there is a finger stop mounted to the top of the barrel near the comp. The technique for the left side of the barricade is to wrap 3 fingers of the left hand around the barricade with the index finger going over the top of the barrel. The thumb goes to the right of the barrel flat against the barricade. Same goes for the right side except we use the opposite hand.

Most Metallic and Production shooters use gloves. This is because we cannot grab the barricade and the gun cannot touch it except in recoil. On the right side I just use my left thumb to steady the gun (PPC style). The left side is where the gloves come in to play. Most shooters jam their hand on the barricade and shoot with the gun canted to the left. I personally use Uncle Mikes shooting gloves. Some shooters use a glove that has a rubber texture in the palm and turn the glove around backwards so it helps to keep the hand from slipping down.

DyNo,

During the 48 round course of fire the barrel doesn't get that hot. Now extended practice sessions or shooting one event after another is a different story.

But, I think what you are asking is just how to do it without getting cut up by the gas ?

Yes it's how to do it without being injured.

Is it done with service size revolvers, like say a 4 inch M66 or does one have to have a longer barrel? And yes what kind of protection from the cylinder gap is needed.

I'm not worried about rules of any particular game. The idea is to find a safe and very accurate way of using the revolver from a barricade type enguagment, game or for real.

Thanks.

Unless there is a scope on the gun, which I doubt, you will not be able to wrap your finger around the barrel. Makes it a little hard to see the sights.

Jerry was doing a trick at the World's where he would grab the barricade and place the barrel in the V between his index and middle fingers. His gun had an 8" barrel. I tried it with a 6" and it didn't work.

With the above being said, the flash from the cylinder gap is a non issue. Like I said in a previous post, the gloves are just to protect the hands from the barricade.

Unless there is a scope on the gun, which I doubt, you will not be able to wrap your finger around the barrel. Makes it a little hard to see the sights.

Jerry was doing a trick at the World's where he would grab the barricade and place the barrel in the V between his index and middle fingers. His gun had an 8" barrel. I tried it with a 6" and it didn't work.

With the above being said, the flash from the cylinder gap is a non issue. Like I said in a previous post, the gloves are just to protect the hands from the barricade.

Much thanks!

So, one can get a longer barreled revolver and use either a 'V" or what I call the 'pool que' method (like you use your weak hand to hold the cue when playing pool) and your palm is on the barricade itself. And as long as the arm is not near the flash gap and the muzzle is well ahead of the fingers(!), it won't affect it.

But I do suspect if I use a .44 magnum it might flip alot from my off hand when it fires!

Thanks again.

Edited by Deaf Smith

I tried Jerry's method using an 8 3/8" barrel and it works fine, almost as good as having barricade wings. However as you know they added a statement in the rules that the shooter "can't lock onto the barricade" shooting metallic sights or production.