Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124/125 Gr LRN With Solo 1000

steveyacht

I have ordered 4000 124/125gr Lrn bullets and 4 lbs of Solo 1000 as a result of recommendations found here. I am specifically wanting to develop loads for Glocks to shoot in local USPSA Production and Steel Challenge matches as well as practice. The guns are G34, G17 and G17 Long slide. The goal is to develop an nice soft shooting load, minor PF BUT, I don't want to get into messing around changing recoil springs.

I have read suggestions here that are up to 4.5 grains of Solo 1000, but according to Accurate Powder the Max load for 124/125 grain LRN is 3.5 grains of Solo 1000. In addition OAL's have been suggested from 1.125 t0 1.135". I am a beginner with metallic loading so I hope you will both understand and forgive my confusion.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

There will be alot of this if you search Solo 1000.

I use 4.1 over Bear Creek 125 moly coated. Gets me about 1030-1050 FPS. Start much lower and work your way up to where you need to be. If you dont have a chrono check with your local club, someone will be more than happy to help you out. There are several people on the forum using 4+ with 125 and more than 3.5 with 147 too. But again work up in your gun.

OALs vary with gun. My 2 G34 and a G17 both like 1.125. Much longer and they dont always chamber fully. I dont have factory springs in them currently though so again your gun will be different. Try experimenting a little, some guns will shoot shorter better and some wont.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I am still confused on where to start. I have heard of people using anywhere from 3.6gr to 4.3gr to make PF with a 124gr or 125gr bullet.

As anyone tried Solo 1000 with 125gr bare lead bullets? If so, how many grains did you end up using to make 125PF to 130PF out of your gun?

I have ordered 4000 124/125gr Lrn bullets and 4 lbs of Solo 1000 as a result of recommendations found here. I am specifically wanting to develop loads for Glocks to shoot in local USPSA Production and Steel Challenge matches as well as practice. The guns are G34, G17 and G17 Long slide. The goal is to develop an nice soft shooting load, minor PF BUT, I don't want to get into messing around changing recoil springs.

I have read suggestions here that are up to 4.5 grains of Solo 1000, but according to Accurate Powder the Max load for 124/125 grain LRN is 3.5 grains of Solo 1000. In addition OAL's have been suggested from 1.125 t0 1.135". I am a beginner with metallic loading so I hope you will both understand and forgive my confusion.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

I just got through chronoing the latest of my 125 moly coated loads. High was 1050 low was 1018 spread of 32 average 1031 with standard deviation of 10. This was done in the mid texas morning about 90 degrees out of my M&P with a 4.25 barrel with OAL of 1.125. I have to run these 125 TC precisions that length so they don't hang up. I started at 3.6 grains but moved fast to 4 gn to make 128pf. I hope this helps you out..

You should always work up any load for your exact gun. Dont just go with what anyone says. Run it over a chrono. If you dont have one chat with some of the shooters at your local clubs or range. Or check with BE'ers to see if anyone nearby can get to the range with you. Most shooters are willing to help ya, just ask.

I am still confused on where to start. I have heard of people using anywhere from 3.6gr to 4.3gr to make PF with a 124gr or 125gr bullet.

As anyone tried Solo 1000 with 125gr bare lead bullets? If so, how many grains did you end up using to make 125PF to 130PF out of your gun?

Cy, start out at 3.7-3.8gr of Solo 1000 with an OAL of 1.125 to 1.13 and a small pistol primer and see where that get's you. It should be a good starting spot. The newer lots of powder seem to be faster than the older lots. If you have a newer produced lot, this will be close. I'm on a jug of powder from 07 that seems to be a tad bit slower than what people are getting from the newer stuff. I have three brand new jugs from a mid 09 lot, but haven't tested it yet. YMMV.