Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What about a pistol-caliber carbine division?

I do not see the harm in a Carbine division as long at is specifically in the rules that you cannot shoot carbine and pistol. The switching gear would slow things down.

If you want to shoot Carbine - I would thing that having a separate Carbine shooting squad. We generally have 6 stages, we have 3-4 squads of shooters. Put a carbine squad and the end of the rotation of squads so that IF they take a little longer, it does not slow the pistol shooters down. It can be a separate "Match" using the same stages.

Mark K.

• 2 weeks later...

There must be a lot of older guys, who were once uspsa competitors but gave it up due to age, fading eyes, arthritic hands and fingers and the like.

They might just come back if they could use a pistol caliber carbine.

I would.

Carbines are lots easier on the old joints and the sights are actually visible.

Afew of our matches were 80+ shooters. True that one guy wanting to double dip would be ok but what about 20 or 25. Thats 100+ or so and way way too long for the other shooters to sit around and wait for. I am new to the sport and I could never be accused of being elitist but when I signed up I was hoping for matches of maybe 30 or 40 shooters at the local level not an all day event with 100.

Some clubs routinely have 100+ shooters....just depends on where you are I guess.

I dont shoot a ton of matches due to my work schedule, however, the last one I did was at a club that allowed PCCs to run beside the pistols. It worked great and looked like a lot of fun. They did not run multiple guns, they were mixed in with the rest of the squads and they did not take any longer than anyone else. They were just another shooter in another class that day and it worked out great. I dont see why there would be no reason for this to be able to be a regular class if the USPSA wanted to add it. There certainly should be no reason that a club shouldnt do it if they want.

The problem isn't the lone guy, the problem comes when it catches on.

A twelve-man squad with everyone shooting one division is fine. Let's take that as the baseline.

What if you have a 12-man squad, and four are double-dipping? That is, really, a 16-man squad. If the other squads are 12, you'll have a pileup.

OK, so you make each shooter sign up for the match by their number of entries. You have a 12-body squad with 16 shooters. What you then actually have is an 8-man squad, with four guys constantly changing gear. They're so busy swapping stuff on and off they have no time to paste and set.

Ideally, they'd have their gear set up so they don't swap, just swap the handgun and mags for the PCC and mags. If each stage has a Safe Area there, no big deal. But when the Safe Areas are not one-for-one, then you have them either wandering off to change guns, or holding up the line while they unholster and bag after their run, then gear up with the new gun before they shoot again.

A strict MD can insist on an equal distribution of PCC double-dippers between all the squads, but many shooters like to be in squads with their buds. It can get messy, swapping shooters between squads to balance things out.

As fun as it is, double-dipping ends up being a royal hassle for all the other shooters.