Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting In

Texgun

I have heared that using a heavier bullet will make the point of impact higher at 25 yards than a lighter bullet.

I went to the range the other day and used 230 grain 45's in my Para which has adjustable sights. Sure enough I adjusted the rear sight all the way down and was shooting about 4" high.

I don't understand the physics/reason of wahy it wirks that way.

If anyone would have time to comment on this please do.

Thanks

Texgun,

Just my thoughts. Recoil starts when the bullet leaves the case. How much muzzle rise depends on many factors, weight of the pistol, how much we absorb, etc. The SLOWER heavy bullet stays in the barrel longer so when it leaves the barrel is higher, thus the sight is higher. I did the same thing using lighter bullets and changing the velocities. The faster I pushed the lower the impact with the same sight picture. I do agree with TheItalianStalion. Get a load that hits where you want at the distance you want and shoot. Once you have confidence in the loads it will help with accuracy. Well that's my thought for the day and with the meds that's all I'm allowed. :huh:

I have heared that using a heavier bullet will make the point of impact higher at 25 yards than a lighter bullet.

I went to the range the other day and used 230 grain 45's in my Para which has adjustable sights. Sure enough I adjusted the rear sight all the way down and was shooting about 4" high.

I don't understand the physics/reason of wahy it wirks that way.

If anyone would have time to comment on this please do.

Thanks

In comparing the "heavier vs lighter" bullet impact point, you have two factors.

1) Acceleration of the bullet

2) recoil

Take a 130-gr .38sp and a 157 gr .38sp loaded so that they both make 1000 f/s velocity. That means the 157 has to be loaded up with more powder to get that same velocity. More powder + heavier slug = more recoil. Therefore, the gun's muzzle rotates upward faster at the instant of firing from recoil.

Secondly, the more masive bullet accelerates slower and gets out of the barrel later in the upward arc of the muzzle.

Faster muzzle rise + longer time in barrel = leaving the muzzle at a higher point = hitting the target higher (with a heavier slug).