Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Australian pistol restrictions

From what I understood , ( the new law) they could not own any guns with a caliber larger than a .38 but I may be wrong. Need to go to IPSC Australia and go to their forum.

Guys,

I'll fill you in on the unfortunate state of play in Aust. Due to a recent shooting at a University in Australia by a licensed shooter (the shooter in question was not legally entitled to own a pistol, Licensing Services made a mistake and gave a licence and a permit for handguns to a prohibited person as I understand) all calibres above .38 are banned and are now illegal, all pistols that have a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds are banned, all semi-auto's with a barrel less than 120mm are banned and all revolvers with a barrel length of 100mm are banned. The only exceptions that you can own calibres above .38 for single action shooting and black powder.

So, at the moment, after you have joined a pistol club and waited the 6 months now required to purchase your first fire arm you can purchase an air pistol, .22 or a cantre fire pistol of .38 cal or less.

Just so you know, the shooting in question is the first homicide in over 100 years done by a licensed shooter with a licenced firearm in Aust. How's that for a knee jerk reaction by our government.

A good frind of mine is going to New Zealand to compete and will have to shoot limited with a 38 super and due to the cal restriction to make major will have to shoot minor. So, he spends years shooting and makes an international team and cannot shoot on a level playing field. Our Prime Minister stated that no internationally recognised match will be affected by the new laws but as per usual has not lived up to his promise.

Anyway, I refuse to stop shooting IPSC until they make all calibres illegal. The harder it gets to shoot the stronger my will to shoot gets.

Greg

this stuff scares the hell out of me.

I am looking at taking a job in Bolivia, and am not about to give everything up on a whim.

So far it looks like I can bring down my .40 cal SVI's but I have shell out for the box legal mags.

Brothers from OZ: DON'T GIVE UP and FIGHT EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.