Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 617

minnesota1

I saw Jerry Miculek do very well in a video of the Bianchi Cup in the .22 division on the OLN network. I've done some trigger work on my 617 S&W but can only get it to fire 100% at 9lbs on the Double action pull. I know with certainty that Jerry doesn't shoot a 9 lb. pull on his.

I have 2 questions, who knows a gunsmith that can reduce the trigger pull down to about the 7 lb. range, and how can I contact them?

Also, I know with my N-Frames I can get extended firing pins through brownells but does anyone know of anyone who makes them for the 617?

Thanks a lot guys!

Bob

Minnesota:

Getting the lightest DA pull is a matter of "tuning down" the mainspring and rebound spring as far as your ammo will allow. I have an older model 686-3 with the Wolff reduced power mainspring which I could easily get a 5.5# DA pull that fired the reloads I was shooting with 100% ignition (you must have soft primers).

The newer guns with the frame-mounte firing pin can not be made quite as light and still get reliable ignition. I use the C+S extended firing pins in all mine and I am not convinced that they help a whole lot. My comp gun SW66 was set up with a DA pull of about 6.5 - 6.8# but recently got some light strikes with some ammo with stiff primers. Had to crank it up to 7.5# to make sure they would light off in DA.

If you are not using the Wolff ribbed mainspring, consider it. In my experience, the ribbed design allows a DA pull about 1 pound lower than the standard leaf spring for the same "striking force". I assume it is due to the way the rib affects the spring rate(?). Anyway, when I use the Wolff springs I get lower DA pulls that fire reliably.

Another thing to consider is that the DA spring force dictates how low the rebound spring can go. The RB spring returns the trigger, and it must also push the hammer back from the forward "fire" position to the rest postion. Since it is pushing it against the hammer (main) spring, a lighter mainspring allows going to a lighter RB spring if you choose to do it.

• 3 weeks later...