Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Lda 18.9mm

Merlin Orr

Just started in Production Class with a stock LDA 9mm. I really like it but wonder if I would benefit from a different set of springs. I have reviewed the previous posts but have not seen anything regarding a 9mm. Anyone have any suggestions? :huh:

Regards,

Merlin

different "set of spring"??? Do you have any idea how many (!) springs are in this gun???

Explain...

I use a 10lb recoil spring, but an 8 lb works fine, too

There appears to be not much benefit in changing the main/hammer spring from factory default. I tried and couldn't tell much difference.

--Detlef

I was refering to the recoil and hammer springs. I know there are more springs in the gun than I care to replace...BUT, I stay out of the internals myself leaving that to my gunsmith buddy Dwayne, :D I am pretty much a total loss when it comes to repairing anything. :( What does the Para come from the factory set up with?

Thanks again.

Merlin

I was refering to the recoil and hammer springs. I know there are more springs in the gun than I care to replace...BUT, I stay out of the internals myself leaving that to my gunsmith buddy Dwayne, :D I am pretty much a total loss when it comes to repairing anything. :( What does the Para come from the factory set up with?

Thanks again.

Merlin

I'd be ptetty surprised if the standard factory recoil spring was not about 12#. That's what everybody else puts on their 9mm 1911's.

• 1 year later...

I have found a 9 lb recoil spring with a 15 lb hammer spring and an extended firing pin from Limcat or Dawson will produce a pretty good result without having to send the pistol to a gunsmith. The reduced hammer spring lightens the triggerpull, but it also reduces the force with which the hammer falls, possibly causing light primer hits. For a really good trigger pull, you will want to send it to a smith. My guy (Jim Anglin, Sailors Custom Pistols) in Omaha, has come up with some of the best LDA trigger pulls I've tried. Mine is well under 2.5lbs, with no overtravel. When I am trying to decide on a recoil spring, I look to see what my sights are doing, if the gun settles nose high, I use a heavier spring, the opposite also applies. I also make sure the spring doesn't bind (too many coils). I hope this isn't too much info.

Cheers

I have found a 9 lb recoil spring with a 15 lb hammer spring and an extended firing pin from Limcat or Dawson

hmmmm...... you're fine with the spring swaps, but I don't think that an extended FP will still fall under the permitted modifications for USPSA Production Division under appendix 21.4 of the new rule book. Better check with Amidon before showing up for a big match...

oh heck, I'm gonna write to him with that question.

--Detlef

but I don't think that an extended FP will still fall under the permitted modifications for USPSA Production Division under appendix 21.4 of the new rule book. --Detlef

Its a completely internal mod that helps ignite primers.

I cant even begin to imagine that John would say its illegal, if its presented in the reliability aspect/manner.

Welcome to the board Rager.

Here are our VP's words. I must worry too much... Now, how can we get John into revamping IPSC's Production Division?

Hi Detlef,

If replacing the firing pin is considered part of the action work, or

enhances reliability, then as an internal modification, there is nothing

wrong with it.  We haven't gotten into tearing guns apart to view the

internal parts, and hopefully, we never do. :-)

John

About 15K rounds since I first posted this. My gun is still the same as back when...

BUT - this post has prompted me to fiddle with my gun and I believe I am going to follow your mods. :o

BE WARNED:

Once you start the fiddling process, you'll usually end up with lots of sleepless nights either trying to make your gun work or deciding which of the little thingies work best or both. ;):lol:

MerlinD,

I'm a firm believer in getting the gun to a point, through tweaking, smith-made mods, etc. that give you a reliable and competitive platform -- then resist the "never good enough" syndrome once you've met the first goal.

In my somewhat limited experience with the LDA, this is one gun that you definitely need to get through that initial tuning process. I've shot them box stock and I've shot Roger's tweaked LDAs. There is no comparison. Especially when you're talking about such a long-travel DA trigger. As you are competing against Glocks (where folks have been able to achieve great triggers of late) and DA/SA guns like the CZ/Tan. variants, getting the platform to a competitve level will pay dividends, imho.

Ken

Once you start the fiddling process, you'll usually end up with lots of sleepless nights either trying to make your gun work or deciding which of the little thingies work best or both. ;):lol:

Borrowing quotes from a couple of our members.

I believe it was John Dunn that said something about having a "bucketful of guns." Not only will one always be legal in some class but you will also always have one to shoot when you have just finished fixing another till it is broken. ;)

Ken

Your words are very true.. However, The spirit is willing but the Tim Taylor just bubbles out of me. :lol:

Merlin,

I hear ya' brother. And I obsess over the shape of my mag release buttons on my guns. I've also spent more time than I care to admit polishing the outside of mag tubes! Of course, there's always Roger S. around to make my obsessions seem somewhat normal.

Best of luck in your tweaking.

• 3 weeks later...