Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DON'T UNDERSTAND

Jachin,

Sounds like you've got your crimp right now if your shooting those kind of groups at 10 yds. I reload 9mm also and have loaded thousands of them. I've had problems with to much crimp in the past also. For me it depended somewhat on what type of bullet I was using wether it was a copper jacketed bullet or a copper plated bullet. I've found the copper plated bullets can be overcrimped much easier. This might not be the most scientific way to test, but I first measure the oal, then put one in a clip, load into the gun and rack the slide. I don't put any powder in the test round. I'll do this to the same bullet a few times and then measure the oal again to make sure it hasn't changed. I use just enough crimp so the round can be loaded into the chamber with no change in oal.

• 2 weeks later...
I know someone else shooting 38 super comp and had the same accuracy problem with MG 124 CMJs. I can't say it's the bullet - because I'm sure my group is naturally about a 4 ft shotgun blast at 100 yd, but I'll relay the info - it's worth trying something like 125 gr. HAP in a few loads and see what that yield is. I have few I could mail ya if you want to try them.

What is an HAP?

HAP stands for "Hornady Action Pistol". It's a bulk bullet that's supposed to be made with better tolerances than other bulk bullets.

Greetings boys and girls,

IT'S A PROUD DAY FOR THE NEW RELOADER

Well, I'm new to reloading. Also new to USPSA and my shooting habit brought me to purchase a Dillon 650 for reloading. I started out with 9mm, 124 CMJ Montana Gold, 4.5gr Winchester 231 powder and winchester primers in cleaned up one time shot brass. The OAL is 1.150 which I obtained from the Blazer Brass length of a 115 gr. round. At an indoor 10 yd range I shot the factory Blazer 115gr aside my 124 MG relaods to judge the recoil, accuracy and whatever. The recoil may have been a little different but no problem to control and no difference in grouping. Side by side, 70 rounds each, no difference in groups. Looking good and very proud of myself.

HERE COME THE BLUES

I go to a match last night to shoot my stuff and prematch I decide to shoot my goodies at a burm behind the 100 yd targets. It was dry and you could easily see the bullet impact on the burm. Looked like fun to me. Pick out a peice of paper about mid high on the burm and started shooting. First shot-6 ft. high, second shot-6 to 7 ft. high 10 o'clock, third-5 ft. 4 o'clock, forth-4 to 5 ft. 9 o'clock, 5th through 24th shots were all in about a fourteen foot group.

Ain't no way baby!!!

Pulled out a box of factory Blazer 115gr, loaded up and produced a two foot group with twelve rounds. How in the world can two bullets passing through a single four inch barrel go from a two to a fourteen foot group differential???

Question is: WT*?

Over.

When you go to the range, approach a competent shooter, ask him to shoot your gun and ammo and see how it will group. This takes your mistakes/lack of skill out of the picture. Shooters at my club would do just that if they had problems with a gun or load;' give it to Bryan to shoot.' I, in turn, would do the same and ask a better shooter to try my gun and load .Try this, it works.

Bryan