Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 124 g and Mt Gold

tpeck

Recently starting reloading using Win 231 and 124g Montana Gold FMJ bullets.  Having trouble making PF of 125 for IPSC.  Loading past recommended powder of 4.5 (using 4.60) and pushing bullet down to 1.146 overall length.  Doing this I am getting an average PF of 129.  The guys I shoot with tell me that the ROs and my chronograph are probably not going to match so I should try to booast my PF up to 135.  Think that I'm pushing the extremes right now. Anybody have any experience with this combo of Win 231 and Mt Gold (124g)? Or any suggestion or other ideas

tpeck, i use titegroup now with MGB 124's, but I did my first set with Win231...used 5.0 grains with OAL of 1.167 and made 130 IIRC.

Your mileage may vary.  I did 10 at several levels before that...4.5, 4.8 and 5.0.  Shot and tested and checked before running 50 at 5.

I don't know your gun or its condition or anything...not saying to jump to that level or anything, just what I did.

tpeck,

I have used Montana Gold in the past and found that I had to use more powder for the same PF when compared to a standard copper jacketed bullet.  I was told the M.G. jacket metal is harder than copper.  That is all I know.