Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting With Non-ipsc Shooters

Rocket

One of my old golfing buddies called me today and said he had just got a new P226 and wanted to go out to my range and try it out. He had taken me to a range a couple of years ago when I was a complete novice. I remember that I could barely hit a target at 15 yds. . Anyway fast forward to today , he loads up while I put on my rig and take out my Edge 40. I set up a few targets and he fired about 10 rounds from 10 yds. Not to bad his splits were about 3 seconds and he hit the target most of the time. Then I stepped up and let loose a couple of 2.0 sec bill drills from 10 yds (down a couple). You should have seen the expression on his face. It was like "what was that, is that a machine gun". I just kind of smiled and said I've been practicing a little.

Bill

Yah , I know I'm a novice too , but it's fun to see how much my shooting has improved in the 7 or so months I've been doing this. It's allot tougher to see improvement at matches where I still get to eat humble pie every weekend, but I'm getting there and staying at it with 1000 rds. a week for the last couple of months. Things are starting to happen. Good things like sub 5 sec el prezes and Standards Drills in the 85% range. It's getting fun.

Bill

Yah , I know I'm a novice too , but it's fun to see how much my shooting has improved in the 7 or so months I've been doing this. It's allot tougher to see improvement at matches where I still get to eat humble pie every weekend, but I'm getting there and staying at it with 1000 rds. a week for the last couple of months. Things are starting to happen. Good things like sub 5 sec el prezes and Standards Drills in the 85% range.

Dude . . . :unsure::blink::unsure:

DUDE!

I have to tell you something . . . if you're shooting sub five seconds on the El Pres and 85% on other standards, you're probably (and this is just my opinion) . . . probably not exactly what most people would consider a "novice."

A true novice like myself takes longer than five seconds just to turn around and face down range in the El Pres! :P

I've been making some good progress lately , especially since getting my round count up around 1000/ wk. . That along with Burkett's DVD's , Brians Book , reading everything on this forum , regular matches , and a session with a GM freind of mine, have gotten me on a good track. Nothing beats handling my gun everyday with plenty of dry and live fire though. CM 99-01 is a good practice drill that I've been using lately. My personal best on that one is hf 6.74 which I think is around 87% . El Prezes are a blast too and once I could get my Draw and reloads down around 1.30's / 1.20's the sub- 5 sec. times came much more frequently. Personal best on that one is 4.81 / 51. I've gotta work a little more on pts. with that one. Now I have to start putting it all together with movement and stage skills. That's the hard part for me anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm addicted to this forum and I've learned a ton from everyone here.

Bill