Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM with heavy bullets

Larrys1911

Hello all,

Do any of you have experience with heavy bullets in a 9mm?

A friend gave me 2000 160gr .356 LRN bullets and I think I am going to try them in my 9MM for IDPA!  A few friends have given me info from some of the old Lyman manuals, anybody got anything recent or a favorite?

I would like to use TiteGroup or AA#2 but any info anyone has I would appreciate!

I will be using a Springfield Armory 1911!

TIA

Larry P

Its better to burn out...than to fade away!

I have been shooting heavy (150 gr) lead bullets in my Glock (17L) for years with good results. My favorite load is 5.4gr AA#7 under a 150gr LSWC. I use a WW magnum small pistol primer and seat to 1.115" OAL. FPS=915, PF=137.

This load works well on steel and has almost no recoil. The 17L has a 5.25" bbl so you may need a slight increase in charge weight to get similar PF with shorter bbl lengths. I get 875 FPS for a 131 PF in my SIG 226 with a 3.5" bbl. A 160gr should give similar results with the proper powder charge adjustment (use a tad less). 875 to 900 FPS is the max you will need to equal 9mm factory hardball PF (140)

I will admit it is an oddball load, but it works great for me. The slower powder makes the recoil impulse real soft, and the magnum primer keeps the velocity consistent with the small powder charge. I get a max spread of 15-20 FPS (906-923 FPS/10 rnds) and the load is real, real accurate. 5.4gr is the lightest load that will cycle my 17L & 226 reliably, and lock the slide back on last round.