Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering a FN PBR.

barrysuperhawk

A local shop has a .308 FN PBR, 18" with the brake on the wall and I am trying to talk myself into or out of it.

Currently I shoot 3 gun and high-power, but I would like to find some type of match to shoot scoped rifle. My home range only goes to 200Y, but I am hoping if I can find a rifle that works for me, it would be worth my while to travel a bit to seek out new matches to shoot a scoped rifle at.

What I want is a good target gun that could do double duty in sniper/MOR class competitions. I have had other rifles before and have found things I didn't like about them, so now I am checking things out first. I want a rifle that has these features, without having to wait on a gunsmith or having to mortgage the house to get it. I want a brake, integrated mount, detachable mag and a synthetic stock.

My history:

I bought a Remington P17. It was cool, but damn heavy and not a particularly accurate example.

Then I had a Howa 1500, and it was a great rifle, but I wanted a detachable box mag and a faster twist barrel.

Then I bought a CZ 527. It was nicer, but that odd ass set trigger didn't agree with me.

Then I tried a Savage, but again, the (accu)trigger was my downfall - nothing wrong with the gun, just not my thing. I also wasn't a fan of the long-action .308.

Then I bought a Sako, and it has a brake, but no detachable magazine, and the fixed mag is wonky. The scope mounting also leaves a bit to be desired.

So, the PBR seems to have the features I want [brake, integrated mount, detachable mag] and I have heard that they can be as accurate as any other out of the box rifle. I have also seem posts about epoxy on the trigger adjustment screws and questions about the bedding. Last, I was hoping for more than a 4 round magazine, but I don't really want to mess with changing bottom metal, if I don't have to. [Yeah, I am a graduate of the WECSOG, and I am hell with a dremel, so getting something that is complete is a better idea..] I would love to have a GAP rifle, but if I had the cash for that I wouldn't be here agonizing about a deal on a PBR...

So, what are your opinions?

If you are interested in normal long-range matches, any NRA sanctioned long-range matches (like F-class Tactical Rifle) will not allow muzzle brakes.

If I were looking at an FN I would go for the FN SPR with the McMillan stocks myself. You might see if CDNN Investments has any in stock.

I have the SPR as well and picked it up due to not liking the Hogue stock on the PBR rifle. Plus, the extra 6" of barrel will make worlds of difference as far as muzzle velocities, especially out past 600 yards. Another word of warning here on the SPR/PBR, good luck finding the spare mags!! There is a bottom metal replacement out there, would need to hunt down my link, but he will do the work at a reasonable price. I haven't had it added to mine yet, but will in the future. Hope this helps.

Steve

I just got my SPR back today from CDI precision after having him install the new bottom metal that takes the AICS mags. Jeff did great work and really makes a nice product. I hope to get to shot it this weekend.

shane

these were a great deal when they first hit the market. i think they were 600-700$. Know that aren't much of a bargin. Look at the remy 700 sps varmint for around $475..kinda like a small block chevy or 10/22. You can build it up as you wish