Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus 1911

pcschwenke

I've found a good deal on one of these in 38 super. My plan would be to turn it into a race gun. Any thoughts on how well these are made? I plan to add a Schuemann tribred to the gun. Are these a true 1911 such as Colt, Para, etc? Just want to make sure the Barrel, slide, and frame are correct.

FYI, the slide, may be put on one of my Para frames. The stock barrel is not ramped in the Taurus.

Paul

If you will type " Taurus 1911" into the search you will find a couple of pages of information and opinions. This is one of the first and most thorough posts. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=taurus+1911. I think the slide and frame are pretty close to spec. You can certainly upgrade everything else with established parts currently on the market.

Steve J,

Thanks for the reply and link. I tried the "search" function but, I didn't see anything about the 1911. Not sure what's happening. Our administrator may be blocking some functions.

Best regards,

Paul

I don't know what's up with the search function. I just tried it again and only got 4 threads. Then I tried again and got several pages with many more threads on the Taurus 1911. Some of the ones that don't have "Taurus 1911" in the title probably mention it in one of the posts. Try this: search results

I was planning on using the slide and other parts on a Para frame. The 38 super Taurus is a single stack gun. Seemed to be pretty good. The slide felt a lot like a cast part but, the website of Taurus mentions that they are forged.

I've got a half dozen or so 20 round 38 super mags still in the wrappers. Since the price was so cheap, I doubt that I could get the individual pieces for much less. I do plan to use a Schuemann AET Tribrid with the slide.

My main concern was with the slide. I hope the lugs of the slide are correct to the original design of the Colt. I hate buying a gun without knowing more.

Paul

First, it is a good revolver. Taurus' that I've had, the steel is above average and they run.

As for building a "race gun" with it, as a single stack, it'd be great as a steel gun or Bianchi Cup pistol. However, if you're just going to scavenge the upper, then look at just starting from scratch with a new slide from say STI or Caspian and then building from there.

Rich

Frankly, for starting out, why not pick up a used open gun? It'll be a bit cheaper (so you're investing up front less) and it's a good way to play with a solid platform and learn more about the little differences in open guns that you may or may not like.

Rich